blower/vac yes i know they suck, but...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lance L, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

a company i just bought serviced some extremely high maint customers, they want the yard perfect all the time, not a leaf to be seen anywhere, mow twice a week, get every little crape myrtle flower out of the pond types. we blow the beds out each visit the mowers dont always get all the leaves because of when you turn and all that. was thinking of just blowing the leaves out of the beds against a fence and vacin them up with a small hand held, well the most powerful handheld i could get... but they are willing to pay for everything, 1 is a $25 size yard and she pays 400/month on a 12 mo contract and doesnt even do rye. and that doesnt include color changes/mulch/xmas lights. since we are there 2 times a week and its not a huge amount of leaves but they all need to be gone, thought i may try it, anyone do this, or have this situation? i dont like bustin the trash bags out all the time i like my equipment to keep me from doing the hands on stuff =) and i dont look forward to raking a pile of 4 leaves and puttin it into the trash bag. we have alot of commercial where it could be used for cig butts as well. but ya. any thoughts?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

A handheld vac has it's place, sounds like it would work for what you describe. I use one mainly to suck leaves out of stairwells leading down to cellars.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes... and the Stihl SH85 is not a bad choice.

There may be a better unit out there I'm not aware of...
    But it sure IS NOT the Echo ES210 or ES230. (design sucks)
  4. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

This may be hard to comprehend but I have had a Craftsman blower/vac for 4 years and it works well around flower beds. I never use the blow feature as I have stihl and redmax. But this little vac has saved me alot of time.
  5. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

does redmax have one? i went to their website but its outdated, i had their 07 catalog but i think i threw it away, thanks for the replies
  6. Envy Lawn Service

I had one I left laying around home that almost got threw out today.
    I grabbed it because I thought it might come in handy and I really had not looked at it.

The answer is no.. they do not sell a specific model for this.
    But yes, they do sell a vac kit for the 2600/2601 blower.

How these little blowers stack up to the others in terms of power... I have no idea.
    How the vac kit design stacks... I have no idea either.
  7. cen02135

cen02135 LawnSite Member

Don't buy Stihl. Just bought a SH 85 three weeks ago. It's been in the shop twice since then. Any little piece of mulch or twig will cause it to jam.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Well, these things have a mulching blade in the housing to chop up and greatly reduce what is being sucked up... because most people leaves, paper trash, butts, etc...

They are only a small 2 cycle engine. None of them have any torque, so it is to be expected that you will jam them up with solid wooden objects, should the mulching blade wedge them against the housing.

My Echos have the same problem, except they don't have the power to suck up most objects like that. But once in a while I'll have the tube just perfect and it will suck up a hunk of something, and often it will get wedged or end up in there clanking off of the blade in the tube unable to get through. Usually with the Echos it's that hiding bottle cap on commercial sites that gets me.
  9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Envy, your avitar made me spit milk out of my nose. Sad but True.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of the high end accounts in our area use Walker to keep things cleaned up.