blower will not run right. help please

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by AboveTheCut, Jul 9, 2008.

1. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

i have a poulan pro backpack (BP400) with kawaski motor. it started running like crap lately (wouldnt run without the choke on full or just off full) then wouldnt start at all. one of the gas lines cracked and it was sucking air and leaking gas on the prime. i replaced this but still ran like crap if at all. next notice the other line inside the tank (pickup) was split. replace it and now it runs again but still not like it did before all this started happening. i still have to leave the choke on at least half way. any ideas what to check next?
    thanks. oh yeah, its about 7 yrs old and until lately ran like a champ.

2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

If you've lucky enough to have an adjustable carburetter then adjust the main just about half a turn anti clockwise to richen the mixture. There should be two adjusting screws side by side. The main jet adjuster is the one nearest the air filter. Once running fine turn the engine on full throttle using this same just. Remember, screw it out (anti clockwise) to richen the mix and screw it in to weaken the mix (clockwise)

Good luck :)

3. mountainlake

mountainlake LawnSite Member

If opening the jets doesn't help take the carp apart and clean it, could have sucked some dirt in with the broken lines. Steve