Blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by liquidforcedude7, May 28, 2005.

1. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

What is a good blower, im looking to spend idk maybe under $135. Im only planning on doing sidewalks driveways etc. So nothing that blows like 800mph. I have a big 8hp puch blower but its way to big to carry around in my little trailer. And it doesnt really matter if its a backpack or not. I was looking at this. Is it decent??

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

IMO, that McCulloch thing is crap, buy an Echo handheld unit, they'll last longer and do better.

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Well, wait a second.
    Like he said, he is planning on blowing sidewalks and driveways off. If your just using this to blow grass clippigs, that McCulloch is fine, and will do the job of a blow and go machine fine. Dont expect to do leaves with it though, way to underpowered for that.

4. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Yeah the leaves are what my big blower is for. this would be for little sticks and clippings that make thier way onto the driveways and sidewalks.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

McCulluch is the crap of crap. You'd be lucky if it last one season.
    Not to mention that that model is just a handheld blower on a backback frame.

I'd seriously consider upping your spending limit. I'm not saying you have to spend over $500 on the biggest baddest blower out there, but time is money.
    The time you'll spend farting around with an underpowered blower, and one that doesn't start is only costing you money in the long run.

I'd say look on ebay for backpacks that are at least 40cc. I owned 2 Poulan Pro backpacks that I bought brand new on ebay for $200-225 shipped.
    These were great for the price! Much more powerful then any handheld blower, and certainly more powerful then those crappy 25cc backpacks like Homelite, McCulluch, and Echos cheapy model.

Just keep in mind that the more powerful the blower, the faster you'll get done blowing. That time savings adds up!

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Go with an Echo or Redmax handheld you'll be happier because it will outlast the MCulloch and if you need parts your local dealer will have them. It might work well for what you are considering but in the long run you might regret not having spent the extra bucks.

7. KLS

KLS LawnSite Member

I use a stihl blower, just bought another new one the beginning of this season. Use it for the same thing that you would need it for and it works great. It's the BG 85. I can't remember exactly what I spent but I think it was around $200.00

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto on the Sthil BG85. On an Echo. Both are awesome.

Steer very clear of the one you mentioned and homelite, weedeater, crapsman...

Honestly, everyone on here touts how you have to have a back pack blower and really, you don't. For general clean-up of drives and sidewalks afer mowing and edging a hand held is really the way to go. So fast to grab it and be starting it walking to the drive or sidewalk. It's much easier to aim different directions and FAST. Granted I also own an Echo backpack. It has its purposes such as blowing out beds for leaf clean-ups and cleaning off large drives. All can be done with the handheld, did it for years, but the back pack is more powerful and thus, faster.

9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

A "me too" on the Echo, it's about $159 at most OPE dealers. The Redmax is about $199 and would be my personal choice. I've never heard anything but good about the Stihl handheld, no experience with it and don't know the price - but it's ugly azz urange :)

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but will it work yard after yard, day after day, week after week, month after month without breaking? For me, it HAS to run like that - flawless performance everytime, or it's not worth it. You get some homeowner's model and the thing will break on you constantly, and 100 or 200 yards later it's broken for good (at my rate, it takes like 3 weeks to do 100 yards).
    - Remember, a homeowner's model is designed to last 5, 10 maybe 20 years for 1-yard use (20 yards/year or so). You go using a homeowner's model at the tune of x-yards/day and the thing is broke before the week is over.
    Do yourself a favor, if you plan on doing this for some time AND you're doing it full-time (no second jobs), get a commercial/pro model and if you want to save money, get the BR 300-series from Stihl, they're only 300 dollars brand-new instead of 400 for the 420/550 OR get a nice hand-held.

Spend the extra money now or waste 100-some dollars and THEN spend the extra (if you can still afford it). Do it however you want, but if you can't afford the very best, don't buy it. Stihl or Echo are my recommendations.

Far as the hand-helds, well that will save you some money but you need to consider operator fatigue - those things wear your arms out. Still I DO see more than a few folk using them and it would be an appropriate choice for clippings and small stuff. The backpacks have a LOT of power, I usually blow off clippings with less than 50% throttle (sometimes idle), so yeah the backpack is a bit overkill but I like the comfort factor AND you already got the tool to do leaves later in the year :)

Peace