blowers banned - what now?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hoyboy, Jun 5, 2003.

1. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

A town that I perform a majority of my work in has just banned gas blowers, including electric blowers plugged into a generator.

I hate it, but now I've got to come up with an alternative. Can you folks give your recommendations on this? Here are my alternatives that I see...let me know which way you would go, or another way for that matter.

Please avoid the "go battle city hall" answers...I'm already doing all I can on that front.

Oh, and this is for summer purposes only. Blowers are ok in spring and fall. so we're mainly dealing with cleaning up sidewalks, drives, and curbs after mowing and edging.

Old fashioned broom (some large driveways to contend with...this wouldn't be a bad option if it was just some small sidewalks)

Electric blowers (the cord is always a hassle, and some customers don't have outdoor outlets...generators not allowed (don't even get me started))

power brooms ( I don't have experience with these...chime in guys...also, brush or rubber? The ones I've felt at the trade shows seem heavy...maybe get used to it though)

mower without the bag (convenient, but doesn't do that great of a job...especially after a rain when the walks are wet) (see...i'm desperate and will consider all options!)

Any other "better" solutions?

Let me here your vote!

Dan Norton

2. Power broom is your best bet... One with bristles.

A little slower, but effective.
  3. Barker's Lawn Care

Barker's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

sry bouble post? look below
  4. Barker's Lawn Care

Barker's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

How about u take one of those power converters(turns 12v into 110v regular outlet) and plug it into your truck's cigarette lighter, start the truck(so u dont run down the battery) and plug in an elect. blower. Now u have a power outlet everywhere you go and its not exactly a "generator".

Wild idea, but i would really just hate to use a broom

also LGF has a good idea, possibly better lol
  5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Why is there a ban on just blowers :confused: I think chain saws and weed trimmers make just as much noise. What about mowers I think there about 5 times louder then a blower:confused: makes no sense. this is Just another way for the man to control our lives
  6. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Have you considered another fuel saving alternative?- Bellows.:p
  7. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

HarryD prob because there are more alternatives to cleaning a surface than blowing and there is really no substitute for the weedeater and chainsaw. Just my opinion though.
  8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya there is hand saw & hand clippers about the same as using a broom JMHO though seems pretty stupid:mad:
  9. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Well I did not think about it that way. Very true. Very true.:eek: :D
  10. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I know where my congresswoman lives, as well as the senator. If they ban blowers, or saws around here, they are getting a visit from me and a couple of my friends.