Blowers... Stihl or Echo

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Road Ruler, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Road Ruler

Road Ruler LawnSite Member

Good day folks..

I'm looking for a new blower (hand held) in the 200 to 230 range.

Echo has the 5 year warranty.

Is one brand preferred by the pro's or are both a safe bet? I don't want a real heavy machine.

Thnxs in advance guys. You have been a great help to me in the past with your wise words and good advice.

2. js.lawn

js.lawn LawnSite Member

im all echo

3. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Here in the UK Stihl have a better reputation than Echo. The new range of Stihl handheld are quit impressive.

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Echo!!!!!Just look at my sig.

5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i like stihl, actually i LOVE stihl, much more than the echo's we used to run.

6. Road Ruler

I'm taking notes guys. Appreciate the comments.

Dura...what are the pros and cons of each as you have experience with both brands. THnxs

I was also impressed with the REDMAX dealer here in town. Are they worth considering??

7. dura to the max

from georgia

didnt pay much attention to the echo, we only had a trimmer and it was good, although nothing to write home about. my stihls have more power than i need. my fs 110 rx is a beast of a trimmer, doubles as a brushcutter and we dont use a blade. no down time in 6 years, blower has plenty of power (i have 2 br 340's, have had one for 4 years) and no downtime (except the spark arrestor screen, i just take those out). edger is about 2 years old, i have the 75 model and its ok, i wish i had invested in the straight shaft, but the 75 has had no problems except the gear head going out, and that was b/c we used double blades. ive had the pruner for about 3 years and never had a problem. the only downside i see, pruner is heavy for extended use periods, trimmer is heavy (but it is the big model, for normal lawn care it's probably overkill, it was bought for the farm). other than that no im very pleased w/ stihl.

i also have a redmax trimmer, got a deal on it and bought it fo a back-up. my guys use it more than the stihl b/c its smaller and lighter. great machines, no idea how old it is (it aint ancient) but never had a problem. also had a 7001 series blower, was prefered for large commercial properties over the br340. the 340 is more comfortable, but the redmax had more power on large lots. i dont know the info on the redmax equipment though, the br340 could be a lot smaller engine wise, so it's not really apples to apples.

hope this helps.

joseph

8. Road Ruler

Thnxs very much Joe. I need to hear these bits. Will decide soon.

9. Road Ruler

I am leaning towards the Stihl BG55 blower.

What is a turn off is that I sent a note to the Stihl website asking them about the warrantee on their machines. They didn't reply to me even though I sent the note twice. Companies that are difficult to communicate with are a turn off. It appears Echo has the better warrantee. Hummm.

10. dura to the max

from georgia

i love my stihls, and to reply to what you said, ive NEVER had an internet CO that i requested info from respond. this is really a question that needs to be discussed w/ a dealer anyway. not trying to sway you since thats what i run, but this is my experience w/ any question section on a website. just my .02