Blowers & truck loader vs Lawnmower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by willretire@40, Aug 17, 2005.

1. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

I would like to know which method is better for leaf removal. 1) Blower and truck loader 2) Run over leaves 3-4 times with mower then bag with mower. It seems like #2 would be better b.c no addition equipment is needed. You only have to use what u use in the summer for mowing. Why is one way better then the other. Anyone that has tried both please let us all know which one is better and why.

2. willretire@40

from VA

3. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on the lawn. If the lawn is flat and the grass was cut a bit shorter before the leaves fell I would say the blower/truck loader will be faster.
    Sometimes going over the leave 3-4 times makes it harder for the mower to pick up. Look at the time it would take you to go over and over the lawn, then go over again bagging which will need to be dumped (depending on size) in the woods/ your truck, etc.
    If the lawn has a lot of hills then the mower might be better but bagging on the first or second pass.

In this area you can't mulch.

4. willretire@40

from VA

a little more information from my area. Yards are about 1/4 acre or less and it is flat here.

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Leaf loader is much better. Then mow one last time after clean-up to pick-up any misc. debris. You are correct that extra equipment is needed, but you need the right tools to get the job done.

6. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

In your area you can't mulch...... how come??

7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We mow the lawns with vac equipped mowers 1 time. Haul the clippings and leaves out to the truck where they are blown into the box with a truck loader. Fast and effective.

8. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

same as metro use my walkers to pick up the leaves and dump them at the leaf loader. blowers and or tarp to leaf loader, but i hate absolutely hate the look of chopped up leaves in the lawns like a walkbehind or ztr would do.

9. willretire@40

from VA

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We use the GGs on the Standers on weekly leaf accounts, until the majority of the Maples and Oaks start to get heavy around the end of October. Then, we go to bi weekly visits for residential and one minor and one major cleanup for commercials around the first week and third week of November. That's when we use blowers and the truck loader. Then, we do about the same as Metro and others..we clear them off, and have a second truck with the loader come vac up all the piles from the first 2 man crew.