blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Oscapes, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Oscapes

Oscapes LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Stihl or Echo backpack blower?

2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

go with echo, I got a 750 and love it,

3. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

What?? NO REDMAX 8000???? ;)

I'm not sure what you're looking for in a blower--typical cleanups or raw power.I've never owned an Echo so I can't compare the two.I have a Stihlbr400 and it's fine for everyday use,but it,as well as the 420,is nowhere near Redmax or Echo in the CFM department. I have heard Stihl is coming out with a new model but I haven't seen any specs on it. I think I'm going to give the Redmax a try to see what all the fuss is about.

4. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

redmax 8000.

5. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

redmax is all i have to say

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I still haven't used a redmax yet...I have to get ahold of one and try them out

7. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

How many simultaneous discussions do we need to have about blowers? There's already at least 3 going on right now. If you use the search function and limit the date to just the last month you'll have plenty of reading, not to mention the fact that while Stihl blowers may be good quality units, no one recommends them because their total output can't compete against competetion like the Echo 650/750 or Redmax 7001/8000.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I've got the Echo PB650T (new this year) and RedMax EBZ8000RH (new today!!). If all your doing is regular mowing and small cleanups you will be just fine with Echo 650. It is a terrific blower, very strong and capable. We've been using it a couple months now for mowing and cleanups and it's been flawless (admittedly we don't have tons of hours on it yet, but we do like it a whole lot and would buy another any day we have need). We got the RedMax EBZ8000 because we needed another "big guns" blower, but I got it delivered to my door without any tax for the same price as the Echo before tax (at local dealer though). The RedMax EBZ8000 does not feel any faster at all, until you get it into thicker/deeper leaves and especially when you get into drifts or waves or piles of leaves, it just blasts right through them! it's awesome for that stuff. Another feature it has that no other blower has (that you could easily add i guess) is the waist strap. This is great to transfer and distribute weight. Makes a big difference in comfort. The blower feels heavier than the Echo 650 until you fasten the waist strap then it feels at least a couple pounds lighter than the 650, no exageration.
    In all honesty the RedMax EBZ8000 is not the first choice for general purpose blowing. We got it for cleanups and probably also used on larger mowing jobs as well, places where the power will be needed. If you can only have one blower for everything but need power for big cleanups, look into the Echo PB650 or RedMax EB7001. I hear lots of good about the RedMax EB7001, supposedly it's got a little more push than Echo 650 yet it's comparable size and all, so it would be a good choice for general purpose blower also.
    If money is no issue, here's what i'd consider: a RedMax EBZ8000 backpack blower for big mowing jobs and cleanups, and a handheld blower of your choice for small mowing jobs and the like, it will be more convenient on small mowing jobs than strapping on large backpack blower for just blowing for 30 seconds drive and walkway. If you get a handheld, I'd recommend something that you can put a bagger device on it to suck up debris into a bag. I have an Echo ES1000 handheld blower/shred 'n vac unit that i generally leave the bag on it most of the time and it comes in handy sometimes. The bag on it is the main reason i have it but it will get a little use for very small residential mowing jobs in spring and summer.
    If you do frequent edging on your properties, a backpack blower will blow off that dirt and clumps of moist dirt alot faster/easier/better than a handheld blower will.
    Sorry for rambling but hopefully it gives you some ideas to play with.
    Eric