Blowin dust!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cos, Jul 23, 2001.

1. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Man I was blowin brown grass and dust today. It sure is dry out there.
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

So in other words...."You were putting down tracks and ripping off your customers." :p
  3. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Sure was..... :)
  4. Now is a good time to spread compost to keep the dust down now and in the future.
  5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Can you explain spreading compost to keep the dust down please ?

6. What type of soil will retain more water?

Soil enriched with organic matter or bare clay exposed to the sun?
  7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Yes....I understand the theory. I guess what I meant to ask is how would you do it ?
    Do you have a Stone "special" toro driven sulky topdresser ?
    What is the process that you will use in this situation ? I am guessing that you know that they are on a soil with high clay content based on geography.

No need to shoot me down on this one please, I am just asking you a question.

8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

The clay is so bad in this area that I can't even get a core aerator to penetrate the soil in my backyard unless it has rained for a week and even then it needs to be done immediately because it is underlain by sand and dries out in a day. I have been planning on amending for the past couple years, but as you guys know...the homestead gets less priority than the customers. Kinda like the Cobbler's children...
  9. Equipment is a 1987 toro gear drive traction unit with a 12.5 hp OHV engine with a 1995 44" mowing deck carrier stand on sulky with a old POS
    JRCO spreader with the gate open wide.

I am replacing chemical fert apps in May and Sept. with compost apps. What I do is get free compost loaded into the back of my c1500HD then when I get to the jobsite I remove the right side greedy board. Then I can easily load the compost right into the spreader using a coal shovel.

Since I don't have to pay for petro fertilizer I make more money per hour. Plus I am not hitting the turf with high N in prime growing season therefore I can mow faster with reduced clipping issues and extend cutting intervals.

March/April-apply petro fert w/pre-m

May-Apply compost

June- Apply high quaility liquid fert with insecticide, broadleaf herbicide, and pre m.

Sept. Apply compost

Nov. Apply petro granular 32-5-7- 25% poly coated
  10. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I remember discussion 3 to 4 months back about the lower southeast- thought the planet had acquired a major climate shift! Now we are getting all the rain we need. Things eventually come around. Hang in there. In Tallahassee it rains like clockwork- everyday at 3 PM.