Blowin' edges

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, May 25, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

After you guys edge a lawn how do you go about removing the grass and dirt? Up until today I blew the edges out real good w/ my BP blower and blew out all the grass and dirt then piled it up in a small pile and swept it up. But today I just blew the grass and dirt right back into the lawn. I Didn't even blow it out by walking parallel w/ the edge like I used to. I just blew it perpindicular to the edge pointing towards the lawn right after edging it and it was a lot quicker and much easier!!! Just wonderin' how you guys handle it.....well????
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

we blow it right back in the lawn and if the clippings are extremely long we mulch right over it.
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Get all the junk in the lawn----------------------before you mow.

And always blow out your crack. A crack that hasn't been blown just looks nasty.
  4. evergreenlawn

evergreenlawn LawnSite Member

You said it Homer. LOL No use in making the crack if you're gonna fill it back up.

5. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I blow the debris back into the lawn.

I have a customer that complained to me once for not getting all of the trash out of the crack. My cracks are all clean now.
  6. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

We have several account were we will edge, trim, blow, mow, and blow again. Yes, it does add extra time but it looks wonderful. We normally don't do this but some people will pay for the extra time.
  7. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

LOL Homer!
  8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

It amazes me how some customers complain about their dirty cracks and some don't. some are so dirty when we get there it's like they've never cleaned thier crack. we work real hard to get it clean, and then they never notice! and then theres the crack blowback, of trying to clean a crack perpendicular and the stuff goes out of the crack and everywhere else. then you blow back, and of course, some of it ends up back in the crack. The deeper cracks seem to stay clean better, or maybe only appear cleaner because of the shadow on the crack. Dave g:confused:
  9. script

script LawnSite Member

Sometimes blow into the lawn before cutting if there are a lot of leaves or excessive clippings from longer than usual edges. But if the grass was high and the clippings on the walkways are more than usual, after cutting I'll go down the center of the walk ways with the blower, blowing everything to the edges and into the cracks. I keep an Echo hand held blower/vac in the back of my truck, that I'll take out and suck out all the cracks. Never takes more than 4-5 minutes and it leaves all the edges crisp and clean. Been doing it for years and customers love it. ;)

10. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

My policy has always been that a good whiping will clean any dirty crack advice to ya'll,buy some tp.