Blowing clippings into street

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Apr 2, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I see crews blowing their clippings into streets around here all the time. I have never done that and never would. My question is, why aren't they getting fired by their customers? It looks terrible and mucks up the whole street. What if everyone did that? We'd need 4x4's to get through the piles of clippings. I also hate having to clean up the mess at my lawns that gets washed downhill from others who do this. Huge pet peeve of mine.

I think "if you blow your clippings into the street" should be added to the "you might be a scrub" list.

2. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I always blow mine to the drives that are downhill.........nah, just kiddin'

I agree, looks like hell, especially a day or so later when the clippings turn brown.......... Apparantly some customers only care about how the lawn looks and not the overall appearance of the property.

3. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I think that's pretty unprofessional. Around here I believe they would even get a fine from the city if they got caught.

4. a1a lc

a1a lc LawnSite Member
    from nj

If local cops see that around here you get a fine.

5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

If side discharging I mow the 'twice around the circumference' in a the counter clockwise direction, mow the pattern, edge curbs and if by chance some clippings reach the street they are dispatched back onto the yard with my trusty Echo 650. Neatness counts.
    BobR

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the scrubs down the street doesen't even blow the clippings off the sidewalks. That really pisses me off to see clippings on the street or any hyard surface.

The scrub down the street also uses a 8": electric trimmer am I8 right he is a genuine scrub?

7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I blow clippings at 2 of my accounts into the street. It is a no win situation. The streets are so busy there is no way in holly hell I will step foot into the street. I have been hit one time and that was one time too many. Now on my regular residentials I agree, I keep them nice and tighty. So Bruce just don't drive down Kings Hwy. when you come to Shreveport or you might curse at me and I will return the gesture of the middle finger back at ya:D

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

No, actually that doesn't make him a scrub.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

cajuncutter, we do gravel removal using a sweeper and have the same problem on busy roads. How do you not hit cars with the clippings or do you mulch?

10. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I mulch. The properties have live oaks and this time of the year it is horrible so what leaves are near the curb or on the curb get blone in the middle of the road..this is what both customers not only agreed to have done but it was suggested by them...call me a scrub if you like but like I said I AIN GOIN IN NO BUST STREET AGAIN!!