Blowing Grass

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WeeDr, Nov 3, 2007.

1. WeeDr

WeeDr LawnSite Member

When your done with the yard, where do you blow the grass afterwards? I was talking with a friend and he thinks it's trashy to blow it out in the street. I'm intrested in know if you blow it in the street or do you blow it in a pile and pick it up?

2. I don't blow it around, it kinda like lays there real quite.
  3. WeeDr

WeeDr LawnSite Member

HOLE-N-ONE LawnSite Member

I will blow the side walks, drive ways, porches ect. back into the yard and fan it in.
  5. rsp1961

rsp1961 LawnSite Member

depends on the street...if its a quiet street that is not traveled much, then i agree, dont blow it into the street. like "hole-in-one" i blow it back into the yard and fan it in...if its a busy road or a unkept country road, then i have no problem with blowing it out on street...
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I assume you're talking about this time of year, some customers have had their yards seeded and you have to wait 2 weeks between cuts or for some other reason it gets away from you and it's just a little too tall, those cases?

For anything that's not so bad, usually I run over it with the mower 2 or 3 times and it is just as effective as blowing. But there are those where this doesn't work, right now some of my lawns are soaking wet (especially those kind, due to active irrigation systems and it did rain and it's cooler outside). So either it goes in the woods or I load it in the trailer and haul it away, it's not that much, for the few cuts / year that require this of me I can dump it in a corner of my own property and it hardly makes a pile to speak of.

Now anything that's not a specific ooops just this ONE time gets charged extra, I won't stand for a customer trying to take advantage of me, but at the same rate I'm not about to get into a tiff over one cut / season, maybe two.

Hope that helps.
  7. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

here in northern ca. we don't over seed or anything like that so what i do as it was said , is if its a busy street and there isn't that much grass , i will blow into the street . but if their is a lot of trimmings and it will look bad i blow into a pile and pick it up a throw it in back of the truck.......
  8. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

Blow it back into the yard, feather it out across if it's really thick. If you're along a busy street, as mentioned, you obviously can't walk the curb to blow it back into the lawn, so blow it out and left traffic do it's thing with it. I don't think we've ever had to pick up blow-off clippings.
  9. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

i blow it into the yard instead of the streets.
  10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX