1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Blowing into the street

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bohiaa, Dec 8, 2005.

1. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

Seems like a pretty common practice around hear. I see the big guys (Brinkman) for example doing it all the time! I had a "Code Enforcement" cop tell me it was illegal and he could fine me. :p

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Illegal here it looks like crap,they is times we have done this.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Well seems the general consensus (sp?) is no one does it :rolleyes: Just that too many LCO's do in fact do it.

I have the problem where the 'other' LCO blows it into the street and then a car passes by (commerical establishment...busy road) and runs it right into the front of my property I just serviced. I have yet to approach him. any of you come across this scenario?

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Yes as long as no1 is bitching we have said nothing.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

maybe you should fond out if in your area if it's illegule, then inform them of what's happening, if It does not stop then sick the hounds on them.......

Just my 2cents worth

6. Oasis1

Oasis1 LawnSite Member

I think it looks very unprofessional and not only that it can be dangerous. A buddy of mine lost one of his very good friends from someone blowing clippings onto a main road. He was coming around a corner on a motorcycle, hit the grass clippings and lost control of the bike.

7. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

Ouch. I know that when I ride my bike I'm always looking out for leafs on the road as they tend to be very slick. Never thought about grass clippings though so thanks for the heads up!! As for blowing into the street, I usually end up blowing stuff from the street into a small pile to pick up (in front of the clients house). After all, that IS the first thing you see when driving up to the house. Should look very clean and maintained.

8. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

My system is to edge, trim then blower sweep all debris back into the yard. This is so while mowing the debris will either be mulched or bagged. Then believe it or not after mowing it is policy to blower sweep again if it needed. This is to insure all clippings, soil from edging, trimming and even blow out from mowing is returned to the lawn. I insist on a clean professional finish appearance. Also I don’t want to take away anything that could nourish and benefit the lawn like the soil and the clippings. It just kills me when some one either a home owner or especially a LCO blows yard waste and debris into the street. What are they thinking?

9. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I see alot of people do it but we don't. I think it looks very UNprofessional.