1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blowing leaves out of flower beds containing mulch?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jim d., Oct 12, 2005.

1. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

The title says it all. I see you guys making reference to blowing out the beds, along fences, etc. Many of the flower beds in my neck of the woods have lots of mulch. How do you blow the leaves out without blowing the mulch out at the same time?
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

we just blow them out...that way can say 'you are looking a little low on mulch, perhaps you should pay us to install some more for you':p :p :p :p
  3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

The leaves would be lighter than the mulch, blow from a distance, maybe not full power, should come right off of the top of the mulch, assuming they're not wet or buried.
  4. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the info.
  5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

The right angle with the blower , the weight of mulch/leaves ,
    You may not be able to get 'em all .
    I don't , they just turn brown and blend in .
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ok. Here is how it's done. Whenever you are blowing out beds with any kind of mulch, the idea is to NOT blow the material (leaves) directly out like you would blowing out of rocks or dirt. When you are using the blower, there are two things you have to keep in mind. First, you have to run it at lower rpm's, do more MANUAL work to compensate. In other words, you have to SHAKE it out. The second thing, is that instead of blowing the stuff outward, you have to blow it in a criss-cross pattern - moving back and forth at atLEAST a 45 degree angle. Sometimes, more than a 45 (almost sideways) is better. As you work it back and forth, you are freeing up the light leaf material, and much of that is able to escape the bed area. At the same time, most of the mulch material moves back and forth a little bit, but stays in the bed compared to the amount of leaf material that moves further. Remember: low rpms and pound it hard by shaking it more. This actually works out to SAVE work.
  7. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

Runner, arizweedhead...thanks to you guys, too. I think I've got a pretty good idea how to go about it now.
  8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

blow full throttle but you have to keep the tube moving in a back and forth motion. Suck up the leaves with mower and blow mulch back into beds.
  9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Guess you don't have any clients with black dyed mulch or barn red stone?
  10. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Dont let the wind from your blowr stay in a spot on the mulch for more than a half second, keep your tube moving.