Blowing leaves out of mulch beds?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fiveoboy01, Oct 20, 2006.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I have just started to get a couple calls for cleanups.

Today I was trying to pick up some leaves at my own house. The entire house is surrounded by mulch beds(which will be changed to rock next spring).

How in hades are you guys getting the leaves out without blowing mulch all over the place?

Thanks.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Most mulches settle after a week or so...unless they just put it down you shouldn't blow too much out. What I do, if there is a noticeable amount of mulch out on the lawn, I just blow it back in after getting the leaves up.

3. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Most of my lawns don't have mulch bed but th ones that do have huge beds. I use a blower and rake to get leaves onto the lawn.

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

You might reconsider using rocks. Somehow a few rocks always get out of the beds and into the lawn. Where there are rock beds I always scout for rocks in the grass and pick them up before mowing, but still probably miss some of them. I slung a rock with a trimmer once and it cost me $473.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the suggestion to reconsider, especially if you are thinking of small stones. If the size is at least fist size, then they won't move much. But, small ones just seem to find their way into the turf area.

In answer to the first question, every pass is different, depending on the quantity of leaves, wind, and how damp/wet. Sometimes a light raking will get most of them and then a light blowing will get the rest. Yes, hardwood bark mulch will settle, and the longer it has been down before leaf season, the better any clearing task, regardless of the tool being used. Despite best efforts, sometimes some of the mulch comes with the clearing, but I warn the customer that they may loose some of the mulch. Also, the task will usually work better if the mulch is damp/wet, as it will stay in place better than if dry.

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what we have to do sometimes also. The ones I don't like are beds with rocks in them.:dizzy:

7. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just trottle down in the beds and usually you only get the lighter stuff like leaves, pine cones etc...

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed, you carefully 'skim' the leaves.

With time you get better, the angle of the nozzle is critical, blow the wind as horizontally as possible so as to shear the leaves off top of the mulch, you eventually get to where you can full throttle them right off, but do go slow at first lol. Inevitably some mulch will go with it, but it shouldn't be too bad.

The whole approach is a bit like skimming surface dirt off the top of the water in a swimming pool with one of those nets, thou not nearly as time consuming.

9. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

I just get close and let the blower idle. works fine!

10. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i'm doing a field test on the Tanaka thb2510. this unit is really impressing me. the length and shape of the tube seems to blow more parelle with the ground moving the leaves out of the beds and displacing very little mulch.