Blowing oil out the carb?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DillonsLawnCare, Jul 7, 2008.

1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

hey, ive got a minibike that i use occasionally and today i let my little brothers friend ride it.(mistake)

so he rides and it gets a little cocky like everyone does and wrecks it and it lies there running and all of a sudden it starts spitting out white smoke like crazy.

i take a look at it and there is oil blowing out of the carb and smoking.

i dont have an airfilter on it(i havent got around to doing that and i usually drive it on the road, but he was in the dirt/grass and i didnt even think about it).

so i think that maybe it sucked in some dirt and messed it up.

i started it back up with continual smoke.

did he shoot a ring or what?

i know this isnt about a mower, but if it happens to my mower i want to know what it is and what to do.

thanks

2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, is this a 2stroke or 4 stroke engine? If it's a four stroke then oil could have enter the valve chest/cover and being drawn into the combustion chamber. Check the oil level and see if it's dropped significantly, remove the valve chest/cover and clean out excess oil. Top up oil and let the engine run to burn off any excess oil. You might smoke out the neighbours but, what the heck:rolleyes:

If it's a 2 stroke engine any smoke can only come from oil. Do you pre-mix the oil in the petrol or has it got an auto mix tank? If it has an auto mix then it might have contaminated the fuel ratio.
    Let us know atb Phil

=

3. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

its a four stroke engine. gas and oil are separate. i do the procedures you told me sometime this week. Thank you very much for the help! greatly appreciated!!!!! THANKS!

4. kawasaki1

kawasaki1 LawnSite Member

the crankcase breather area got filled with oil when it was on it's side.

let it sit upright for awhile to drain the breather case, check your oil level, and start it up.

it might smoke but it should clear up after about 5 minutes.

5. Tturfcare

Tturfcare LawnSite Member

Mine mower blows white smoke at times when i first start it. Then after about a minute its fine.

I beleive its burning oil, what is causing that?

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry I don't run machines without an air filter except maybe for testing,
    and they don't go out for rides under these circumstances.

That's the attitude I have, thou I am somewhat sorry
    about the loss of some so-called friends.

7. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Word!! If it isn't in the shop or on concrete, it has to have a filter on it.

8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

AIR FILTERS!!! AIR FILTERS!!! we dont need no stinking air filters! :hammerhead: