Blowing/Raking for Spring Clean-up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Apr 9, 2008.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I've had many customers call that insisted that they want their lawn raked. I tell them we use blowers and a lot of them tell me thats not what they want since they have a blower. How do I get it though their heads that our Redmax 8000 blowers do not even compare to their little sears electric had jobs. Most of the people just want matted down grass fluffed back up and the dead grass out. If the lawn is real bad we quote them for dethatching. I've been doing clean-ups for over 5 years now and I've never had problems with people insisting on it being raked like I have this year.

2. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

Tell them that you can get the leaves out of their yard using a professional blower, as it blows a significant amount more air than most homeowner blowers. If they still want it raked, either rake it and charge them for your effort, or tell them that that isn't a service that you offer.

3. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

i will either use the jrco detacher i have on the front of my lazer and charge, and tell them it is the same as raking, or if they realy insist i give them a hand raking price of $75.00 per man hour + debris disposal.

4. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Tell them that they can watch you use a professional blower, and if they aren't satisfied with the process you will hand rake it for whatever fee you charge for that kind of manual labor.

5. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

The main point of a clean up is dethatching, thats the whole point of it in my area.

6. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I was thinking. It seems like, if they are insistant on raking, they want what they percieve as dead grass removed from the lawn. This far north, we don't generally rake lawns unless there is sand or debris on them. By the time the snow melts away, the grass is greening up and there is no need to "fluff" the grass.

7. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Nobody is more north then me and everyone power rakes here. Decent money in it too. This year, instead of vacuuming the thatch I'm going to try buying a br600 and blowing it into piles.

8. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

My spring clean ups are detchtching, vacuming, blowing any leaves around bushes, and hauling all debri away. I don't know about you guys but thats standard for me. dethctching is a necessity for getting the grass standing back up and to get all the dead grass out.

9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Me too. I actually advertise "spring lawn raking" now as a service, as well as "spring dethatching". I use the JRCO dethatcher on a ZTR with a vac. Two passes with this setup, and I'm off to the next one. The customers love it. I can get about $150 on average, doing 4 per day, solo. I have several repeat customers that hire me for this service only.

10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I just recommended dethatching to one of my new customers. I raked and used my Redmax and still did not get all the little en bedded leaves out. I don't offer power raking or dethatching, maybe I will look into it for next year.