blowing vs. raking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNMOWERBOY, Apr 4, 2001.

1. LAWNMOWERBOY

LAWNMOWERBOY LawnSite Member
    from NEPA

hi-

just wondering if anyone out there prefers to
    "blow" a lawn as opposed to raking? Can a blower really compare to a good raking?

thanks

LB

2. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Time, Time, Time....!
    Raking would be great if you could do it fast enough and get paid enough to compensate for additional time needed.
    Only on a small area would I consider using a rake.
    Cleve.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

In the fall you can blow leaves off of turf if it is short, about as good as raking. In the spring, nothing beats a good raking in the northern states. It not only cleans up leaves, but it lifts up the matted down grass that is caused by snow being on it all winter. A JRCO tine rake works good too for this job.

4. LAWNMOWERBOY

LAWNMOWERBOY LawnSite Member
    from NEPA

HI-

thanks alot-
    thats kinda what i thought...

LB

5. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

I do whatever it takes. Some times it's faster to rake and sometimes it's faster to blow, and sometimes a combination of each is the most efficient. Also don't forget about mulching or collection systems. On the larger properties I will blow out/rake the beds into the lawn, then mulch leaves and if it still doesn't look clean I will use the ultra-vac. A combination of all four normally has the best curb appeal and that's what most of my clients want.

forgot to mention the hand held vac/blower. I think this fall I will buy a hand held vac for the smaller beds. It looks like a great option on small beds and for picking up debris (cig. butts)

[Edited by Ssouth on 04-04-2001 at 06:03 PM]

6. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

im with ssouth its a combination you can blow out all beds and mow over everything but sometimes that just dont cut it .

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Raking is slow and hard work! I used raking and a hand blower for a couple of seasons, then bought a wheeled blower, 8 hp Lesco. I use it in the Fall when leaves are heavy.

The hand held blower never did a very good job, raking was better. But, the wheeled blower will do a better job than raking. I was very concerned before I bought the 8hp blower I would have to touch up with a rake. Wrong! It is a chore to lug across hilly terrain, but sure beat the time and total energy to raking. I never use the hand held for clearing areas, only beds.

Spring cleanups still require much use of the rake. Does anybody else find that raking at this time of the year, after a Winter layoff, really hard on the body? Arms, shoulders, back, ... not much left!

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have a rake on my trailer. I use the machine for all the hard work. My Walkers spring tine dethatcher is better than a rake and the GHS system is a great vacuum. The Walker isn't the fastest cat when it comes to mowing but it beats all I've seen when it comes to dethatching or leaf pick-up. In all honesty, the market I am in really gets into the spring cleanings and a guy can just about pay or a Walker in less than a season if you hustle.
    I've got thatch and dust in my eyes again and I love it.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I go over everything with the JRCO tine rake mounted on the front of a Gravely 300 rider, then I use the push blower to gather the stuff for tarping. The blower is much more thorough and productive. I can do a 1/2 acre yard in about an hour now, but tuesday, I will be picking up a blower buggy by JRCO for the front of my Lazer. This should help time and WORK considerably. I can't wait!

10. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

mulch,mulch,mulch.