Blowing woodchips that are lighter than grass clippings..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I really struggled this year especially on one property due to the fact that when i went to blow the clippings out of the flower beds, the wood chips were actually lighter than the grass, thus the chips would go everywhere. Do any of you have secrets or tips to share? thanks for the input.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure...don't blow grass in the beds in the first place.

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Or if you cant help it and do get some into the beds, point your blower into the bed, scattering the chips and grass in the bed. Once the clippings are dispersed and covered they are really hard to see and will be able to decompose.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Unfortunately I would have to go with the being very careful to cut at least two swaps around these beds with the OCDC closed to prevent this from happening in the first place.

Gravely_Man

5. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

i always have my chute down, but i have a few tight spots where i squeeze between a few flower beds, so i have no control over it. no matter which way i go, there will be clippings in there. i can't see purchasing a bagger just for that purpose. or is it worth it?

and if the clippings stay in the beds, will that promote weed growth? :confused:

6. Scraper

Not if there are no weed seeds in the turf you are blowing into the beds.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I do the same thing, make 2 swips around beds first, then I start doing the stripping(mowing). Because you don't want a lawn that is stripped first, then around the beds last done, it takes away from the stripes.

But yes I sometimes still have a problem with wind blowing the grass back in, and the best advice to this is run the blow at the lowest point and just try to get our most the the grass. And whatever bark or mulch gets blown out try to pick up by hand.

8. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if this is correct or not, but last year We had the same problem for a company i worked for. The foreman said when we were done with the lawn, go back and turn over the mulch by hand. It actually looked better than when we started, and you could not see any clippings. You can try that.

9. Scraper

LOL That must be quite a sight! Wonder what your customers think. :laugh:

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Never lost a customer in 5 years that I have been doing this, what about you???