1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blown Engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Andyinchville, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

HI All,

AARG....been in business since 1994 and despite constant usage (Min of 7 hrs per day at least 5 days/ week), I have never had either a Kohler 15 Command or
    Kawasaki FC 420 V quit on me from just wearing out....BOTH times (and one just today) was a result of low to no oil in the engine.....Despite constantly telling the guys to check things... I guess things do happen....Do yourself a favor check your oil ;-)

Well , with that in mind I am now having to decide what to repower my Exmark 48" Turf Tracer HP mower with....The engine that bit the dust was a Kohler Command 15 recoil start....Should I go Kohler or Kawi ? ...Since Honda isn't a real player in engines of this size I haven't really considered them....Also I was thinking of going up in power....Possibly a 19 HP Kawi? I know a 17 HP model is on my other Exmark but gotta love the extra power for spring's tall grass!....Anybody out there do this? was it hard to do?....I have also been thinking going delux and getting electric start too....I guess I think I'd make the best of a bad situation...Has anybody gone even farther than I propose and maybe gone with an electric clutch equipped 23 or 25 HP like on the Zeros? (electric clutches etc may require more modding of the mower but hey winter is almost here and I'll have time! ;-)

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions or other ideas.

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

If you go with an electric start, you might have to buy a new harness probably, and a new switch.
    I put a 12hp electric on a 32 Bob-Cat and just wired it myself though.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you want to do some fab work you may want to stick to the 17 HP and smaller engines. In the 12.5 to 17 HP size the engines are usually interchangable. The shaft sizes are the same as are the bolt patterns to attach the engines to the mower. Above 17 HP they use thicker shafts and a bigger bolt pattern.