1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Blown Fuse

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by firefightergw, Feb 18, 2006.

1. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I've got a customer that keeps blowing a fuse in his RainBird controller. When I go out there I replace the fuse and hook-up my ohm meter to each one of the zone wires everything checks out OK. Anyone ever run across this? Does anyone have any ideas why this continues to happen?

I would suspect that there are wires that short out after the ground becomes saturated with water and by the time I get out there the ground has dried enough to eleviate the problem. I don't know?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Solenoids can also fail after they're energized a while and heat up a bit. If the controller is giving you an error message specific to a particular zone, try replacing that zone's solenoid. Or, using the multimeter in its AC Current mode, check through the zones and see if one of them has a higher current draw than normal.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

4. PurpHaze

5. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I'll try the AC Current mode and see what I come up with. PurpHaze, thanks for the thread. If I don't come up with any high draws from the AC Current mode, I will shut of the water and see if I can get a solenoid from any of the zones to blow the fuse. This controller does not give me what zone caused the blown fuse.

Thanks for the input.

6. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

7. sps2868

sps2868 LawnSite Member
    from ATL, GA

When you first put in the new fuse pay close attention to the display it should flash a zone # and a time display that will tell you that it failed on that particular zone... If this fails to solve the problem get a really good digital volt meter and test all the solenoids for resistence starting at the clock check each solenoid then go to the valve boxes and check them directly by unsplicing them, also have a brand new solenoid with you so you can check what they really should be reading. This should solve the problem. BTW don't forget to charge for all of your time, and maybe take a class in low-voltage wiring or a class that shows hows to use the voltmeter properly. Their may not be a better tool in your tool box than a really good electronic voltmeter..

I see this issue alot in my area because the contractor who worked the area before me would have this problem but unable to figure out which solenoid was causing the issue would just replace the fuse w/ a 10amp fuse and the problem was solved... Now years have gone by and clocks are starting to fry all because he installed his system with regular household wirenuts (no silicone at all).
    :cry:

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Boy, you have to wonder how those old sprinkler systems, the ones that were installed before the waterproof wirenuts were invented, ever managed to survive. :p

9. PurpHaze

I occasionally run into wire-nutted-only splices that are still working fine. :hammerhead:

10. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Get a progressive station master pro