1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Blown in mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by FLMOWER, Mar 20, 2003.

1. FLMOWER

FLMOWER LawnSite Member

Have you guys seen blown in mulch. I talked to a gent the other day while on a job. This was the most incredible rig I have ever seen. It was an open top semi that could carry up to 100 yards of product. Inside was a self rolling floor which moved product to rear where it was then pumped through a 5" hose 200' to a technician walking along beds. This was all done with 1 remote control mounted on his waste. He related that he could spray cypess, pine bark, tire mulch, and even loose organic top soil. Their prices weren't bad either at 35-40$/ yard installed. This sure does seem to be the most efficient way to mulch.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

they are definately sweet machines. i worked with a guy this summer who had a finn aim and shoot bark blower mounted on an international. it was absolutely nuts how well it could put the stuff out and how quick it worked. i couldnt imagine mulching all the stuff by hand that this machine used. And talk about cutting down on productivity. You normally wouldve needed a full crew of at least 6 guys to mulch all these properties, and only one guy can run the bark blower. youve got to have the work to shell out anywhere from $100,000 for a used machine to up to around $200,000 for a brand new one. (model depending)

3. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

we have hired a mulch blower truck for a few commercial jobs. the finished product looks nice. does a good job on slopes

mdb, you are exactly right about the savings in labor. you would definitely need to have some serious mulch work to justify owning one.

4. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 LawnSite Member

I sub to a guy that has one for my larger jobs. What a labor saver. Also cuts down on the total yds. needed. If you had ten yards to put down by hand, it might take a crew of two 4 hrs, where the blower can do it in about an hour or so. Also looks smoother than by hand.

5. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Sweet machine.. problem here is you are limted to the product you can get via machine.