Blown Kawasakis

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SMOOTHCUT, Apr 30, 2006.

1. SMOOTHCUT

SMOOTHCUT LawnSite Member

I been hearing of a few reports of 23 hp kawasakis failing. two people I know personally. Anybody else heard of problems?

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

my 17hp kaw on my exmark I bought it used 3 years previous owner 2 with me and now the dam thing is buring a quart of oil every week well in two weeks we are giving it an overhaul about 250 bucks if that don't work it is getting a new motor all together.

3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

No problems yet with the 23's , but problems with the 19 - 15 and 6.5. A 6.5 with 2 hours on it, had to have a value job. A 19 blew at the damn sump! Brand new! and Kawasaki tried to wiggle out of the warranty.I'm getting sick of Kawasaki's quality control lately.

4. McHouck

McHouck LawnSite Member

I blew up my Hustler Z today...23 Kawasaki...185 hrs homeowner use....not happy!!!!!

5. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

What failed? Are the cooling fins clear and the proper oil level in the engine?

Thanks,

Eric D

6. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

I have two mowers with the Kawasaki engines. One is a 15 hp the other is a 23 hp...both got oil changed at 5 hours. Both get oil checked at the beginning of each day. Sometimes you just gotta add oil if it needs it.

I have never had a problem with either engine. They got serviced at about 100 hours at the shop and good to go.

7. MowJoeLandscaping

MowJoeLandscaping LawnSite Member

yep, just had one rebuilt with 450 hours. The seal on the crankshaft failed. This was on an exmark 52 ztr. Never again. Just got two new snappers with 32 hp Briggs. I love them!

8. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Just sold my Gravely 250Z with almost 800 hours on the 23 Kawasaki. No problems. Changed oil and filter every 50 hours, using 10/40 synthetic. ALWAYS let the engine idle for at least 1 minute, usually more, before shutting down. Kind of a ritual with me, load the mower, leave it idling, strap it in, close the lift gate, then walk around to get my trimmer, and reach over and turn the switch off.

9. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

No problems yet with 15 hours on the clock:)

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I had one 25 hp Kawi' fail on me in 2003.
    It turned out that the locking ring for the oil dip stick would fail, the dip stick would back out and the oil being under pressure would shoot out of the oil dip stick tube.
    The motor had under three hundred hours on it yet was replaced under warranty with no problems.
    I did have the rep ask me if I couldn't see the low oil warning light come on.
    My response was in 100*+ heat and literally blinding sunshine in Central Texas could YOU see that tiny light?
    Wisely he said no.
    As I understand it Kawi has addressed this problem and the newer motors have the correction.