Blown Kohler 15

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tbarchaser, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

This is a 15 Kohler with less than 100 hrs on a toro gear w/b

First thing in the morning...check oil.
    Then I mow 2 props side by side with 3 or 4 passes left.
    When I start hearing valve noise....so I put the mower on the trailer.
    I go directly to my dealer and the first thing he does is check the oil! he puts in half a quart and tells me to run it around.

Tick tick tick tick TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK

The dealer is standing there and kinda has a smile on his face ...so I throttle back a bit.....and it lets go Broke the rod and took a big chunk out of the block.

He said the oil pump went out...and the damage was already done...he just wanted to hear it blow.

Anyone else have a oil pump stop pumping? I was glad it happened...I got to pick up my Wright stander 1 day early.

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Same friggin thing happened to me last year. When it blew, I freaked out. I was so pissed. Same scenario, blew a chunk outta the block. Argh!

:mad:

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

WOW , I have a 98 Kohler 15 and have only had to replace one ignition item. Other than that its been good but thanks for telling us.
    With a 100 hours is there any warranty coverage. Kohler can be a pain at times but this seems like it should be covered. Glad to hear you won't miss any mowing with your new Wright Stander.

Had a similar block explosion on a TeSCUMseh Sno Queen. She smoked a little out of the breather then POW. The whole side of the stinkin block went flying. Probably 8 hours total on the P.O.S.
    Tecusmeh is definately the scrub engine mfgr in the industry.

4. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I run a 15 koh on my toro :eek:

5. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

My brother bought me a new kolher engine just for that reason i believe.

He did a service on it (1st time is was used this year)
    He put in new oil, changed the filters and started it up.
    Engine started ticking a little then(lifter noise which usually goes away)
    But it didn't,he shut it off checked everything(it was all ok) restarted it and it ran for about a minute more before it locked up tight.

$500.00 he ended up spending on a new engine to replace that one.

Dan

6. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

I threw a rod on my 2 year old toro w/b last year...

I still havn't replaced it yet, and i'm curious if anyone has replaced a kohler with a non kohler motor? Is anyone familier with a swap like this?

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

During the past few years, Kohler 15hp has been nothing but PIA.
    I have seen many like these a lot. It has happened like what you all have said mostly, and it is PIA when it happened while mowing on job, and can't even go back to trailer, stuck in the mid of action, not enough power to pull mower back, and so on. The newer engine is not getting better neither, so that why most LCO opt to have Kawi on WB, big difference. 12.5, 15, 17 Kawi seems to be better choice than Kohler counterpart.

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've got a 15 on my metro and haven't had any trouble out of it. there is a recall on the pushrods for that extended ticking noise. i talked to a rep earlier this year and said it was done for free if still under warranty.

9. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I have a GD Surfer with a 22hp Kohler. Probably about 1000 hrs. I was mowing a prop when it started blowing white smoke and running on one cylinder. I quickly took it the shop and dropped it off. Came back to the prop and fired up my Howard Price WB equipped with a 25 hp Kohler. Probably no more than 500 hrs. Ten minutes later it did the exact same thing that the other one did. That is after the mechanic had it 3x this Spring and never could get it running right. Bad engine or bad mechanic I'm not sure. The GD Kohler had to have one whole side replaced a year after I bought the mower new. Kohler would not give me a new engine. Anyway, the dealer told me the GD engine was shot and a short block would be $1850 with labor. I bought a 24 hp Honda off E-bay just to have 2 dealers tell me that it might be impossible to mount this on the Great Dane. Not only did it bolt right on but it also wired right up. I did have to buy a new clutch since the Honda shaft is bigger but other than that it was a piece of cake. If I ever own another Kohler it certainly won't be by choice.

10. kiwicemetery

kiwicemetery LawnSite Member

Hey Royalslover, I agree Kohler sucks... big time

25hp command Kohler on a Howard Price Blazer 360, and all I have done is throw money at it, blown head gaskets 1400 hrs (a common fault I have learnt) burn exhaust valves 1500 hrs (another common fault) and started with a blown muffler 220 hrs (another common fault) electrical stators at about 800hrs, coupled with every thing that has been done to the Howard Price, in terms of deck rebuilds (twice) and hydro wheel motor, all before 1800 hrs!. I wouldn'y buy another Kohler powered mahine at gun point, or Howard Price for that matter.... my 2cents.