Blown Kohler with 450 hours

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by furball3, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well apparently you didn't read what I said, There is NO 4000 RPM rating in a Service Manual only 3750 and in some 3750 +/- 75 as a standard base line rating. I did not say Kohler never built a engine that ran a 4000 RPM rating.
    There are only 13 engines that have a 4000 RPM rating out of the thousands that have been produced so the Service Manual is a good base setting.As for TP-2514 I use it all the time but the average homeowner or commerical user doesn't have access to this so the Service Manual is used. I also didn't say RPM was a factor in furball3's engine blowing up, Only implied that if it was ran above the rating didn't help any.

Take care

2. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Really???
    What about page 6.28 of the Kohler TP-2379. That is the Kohler factory service manual for the K series (cast iron, single cylinder engine)? Paragraph 2 for the K91 engine. They show an approximate speed of 4000. If you don't find the same thing I did, I will stand corrected.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

No my friend, I'm the one stands corrected. That one old discontinued K91 never entered my mind, Possibly because the average person will never even hear of one much less work on one. I do have to give you credit for hunting it up and pointing it out to me though, So As the old saying goes I will sit back and eat my crow over one obsolete engine.

Have a Good One

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The Kohler command engines are just as happy at 4000 rpms as they are at 3600.

Who put the lifters in the engine and what wt oil are you using in the engine?

Oldtimer

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Good question....I sort of asked that above (who did the work), and didn't get an answer yet either.

6. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

What is the model, spec and serial number of the engine? How many hours on it? How old is it? If the lifter was noisey (when replaced) it may have been due to low oil pressure at that time. Which could have caused lack of lubrication to the connecting rod bearing surface. Which with time can cause the "ventilation" hole in the block.

Let us know what the dealer said as well.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm guessing by the wording of this, that Furball himself did the work.