Blown motor

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by McHouck, Jun 16, 2007.

1. McHouck

McHouck LawnSite Member

Was mowing my lawn today....loss of power, puff of smoke and then noise. I turned off the engine, then tried to restart it and heard the worst clanging noise. Tried again and engine locked up tighter than you can imagine....Needless to say I'm pissed.....bought Hustler Z in 4/2004 and used exclusively for home use...pampered it...oil changed every 20-40 hrs...It had only 185hrs on it and of course I'm out of warranty! What do I do now?? If it needs a new motor should I replace with same 23 Kawasaki or go with a different brand or higher horsepower??? :cry:

Shawn

2. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Oh man. I'm about the same as you. Home use only, dealer serviced every year, and has less then 100 hours on it. I sure hope that never happens to me. I think mines an 03 though.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I received your PM also, and I would like to know the cause of failure, seems really weird that it failed.
    You could replace it with another Kawasaki or a Kohler with a wiring harness change.

Pj

4. McHouck

McHouck LawnSite Member

Wanted to post the reply here....I brought my Z to a local dealer and we found that the clutch seized upo on it and it was not the motor (thank God!). So after a new clutch I'm back in action.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Ok.
    Thank you for the update.
    I thought something sounded weird with a blown mower with so few hours.

Pj

6. McHouck

McHouck LawnSite Member

New problem arose when I brough it home...had to use the bypass valve on the hydros to push the mower, however once I screwed the bypass valve back in, the right side hydro was very sluggish and no power...I played with the valve and found that the whole screw was stripped and the tread casing on the hydro was moving with the screw....I guess that I need a new top portion of the hydro pump, where the valve threads into...the valve will not tighten, and would probably blow out if I drove it...so back to the dealer!!

Shawn

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Who tightened the bypass valve and how tight did they tighten it?
    This is a very sensitive valve, all you need to do is un thread it a couple turns and when tightening it I do it by hand then a quarter turn max with a wrench.