1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blown Motor ?????

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BillyRgn, May 21, 2008.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

Exmark Lazer 60" 27hp Kohler w/ Ultra Vac all right here's the deal, this mower is great i baby the thing, change the oil regularly and lube it up all the time wash it and it has roughly 1200 hrs but run's like new, no loss of power or any problems. i arrive at my last lawn of the day today, i get on the machine, which i have been cutting with all day. and start it up. it fired right up however it sounded like the choke was engaged but a little different, so i played with the choke lever but realized it was not engaged, anyway it only lasted about 6 seconds and went back to normal running so i figured it had flooded or something stupid in transport, so i did not think much of it nor do i know if it has any thing to do with this but, on my last pass of the lawn, i have been cutting for about 40 minutes with no problems, and mower running like new, i suddenly hear a whooping type of noise behind me which sounded like a belt was sticking and jumping like a pulley froze up or something then as fast as i could turn around there suddenly was sparks shooting out from the clutch, so i instantly shut off the blades, and put the engine on idle. the engine sounded perfectly normal this was only a matter of 5 seconds, Then there was a clunk noise from the clutch area and the mower shut off after being on idle for about 5 seconds, i tried to start it but when i turned the key all that happened was a click from the clutch and the motor would not even spin, it was also not because the blades were engaged, that is a slightly different clicking noise but similar, i also tried to do it with the blade switch engaged, and it acted as if it was normal so that's not the problem. The oil was also not low or any thing like that. i got home late, and haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet, and will bring it to my dealer tomorrow after i look at it. but in the mean time, does anyone no what this could be ? please tell me it's a clutch or something stupid, and not that the motor's blown. it ran fine all day including the last lawn the only problem was when i started it, which i don't even know if it has anything to do with it. i hope someone can give me an answer, because i want to avoid bringing it to the dealer if i don't have to, i usually do all the work my self, but if its something big with the motor it may be a little over my head, i would rather fix it my self and save money and not be down a machine that long.
  2. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

its the clutch sounds like the bearings locked up in it this will also lock up the engine. @1200 hrs you did good on a clutch most dont last half that amount of time
  3. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

ooo thank god i had visions of having to dump three grand on the motor anyone know how much the clutches are going for ??? Thank you Billy
  4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

installed it should not go over $300.00
  5. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

The clutch is locked up, I'm guessing you had to back off the hydro bypasses and roll it on the trailer, right? Price clutches in your area, the Part# is on the old clutch (always superceded by the new #) but I buy most of my clutches from online sources, delivered to the gate, if you need it yesterday (like all my guys) find the closest, (newest) Exmark dealer, but be prepared, bend over and take it,versus online discount, $199 is the price here. C'ya Good Luck, cool season grass is gone here, St. Agustine and Bermuda season is here
  6. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

If you want do do it yourself that machine is one of the easiest I have ever done. J-thomas can get it overnight for a little extra $$ or pay the dealer. I think I got it for 225 or so from a fair dealer by me but another dealer wanted 295. The motor is vertical and all that has to be removed is some of the brackets surrounding the back of the motor, the crankshaft bolt and the bracket that keeps the clutch fixed. Easy! Good luck!
  7. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

thanks guys i'm thankfull for the information, i just sucked it up and went to the dealer, $295.00 for the darn thing but knock on wood i can't really complain because this is the first thing i have had to put on this machine besides oil, filters, and grease, so i will take it at 1,200 hours. knock on wood