Blowout and the "Director"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Mar 12, 2004.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

2 seasons ago I had the extra blowout baffle installed on my Ex hp 52. It reduced the amount of leaf blowout. But yesterday, was my first chance to use it to mulch up a light layer of leaves with the new Director installed. With the Director all the way closed, the blowout seemed far more than what I remember last fall. I cant see why it would be different as the door is closed, just like with the door that comes with the mower from the factory. Tried different deck heights and still allot blowout...and I do mean allot...like most of the light layer was being blown out the right front.

Maybe I just dont remember how much blowout there was b4 since I have the vacuum on most times in the fall.

Am I missing something here??...dahh

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

have you used a mulcher before, or just strictly bagging with the blowout baffle?

3. GarPA

from PA

the vacuum/begger is on most of the time in fall...like I said maybe I just don remember how much blowout there was

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

with the director on, the air current has no way to go except to blowout. Unless I am not understanding something correctly

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Close the director all the way then open it one notch, Go over the leaves back wards. This should do the Trick..
    John

6. Buckeye1

Buckeye1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Like john & tiedeman said, the deck has to breath a little. All the air has to go somewhere so your going to have blowout. Remember the ocdc is more for controlling grass so you don’t spray the clippings all over something. Trying to chase down leaves isn’t the same as cutting grass. The grass can’t run away from you like the leaves can.

7. GarPA

from PA

thanks guys ...I should have thought this thru more before I made this post..when I think about it, most of the time in early fall the door is wide open when mowing over a light layer...when there are more leaves the vac is on...so I really dont have the door closed very often for leaf mulching hence I dont remember the blowout issue but what you all say makes perfect sense ..

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

And as John G said, I see quite a few guys close it and BACK over the leaves to grind them up.
    Light leaves disappear when I've watched guys do it this way and virtually no blowout.

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know if I'm reading you right, either. However, if you just run an OCDC and don't use the mulching baffles, the blowout is much more.
    DP

10. WAGS LandL

WAGS LandL LawnSite Member

Gary,
    I've been using the director for two years now and the trick with
    leaves is to close the director the entire way and back over the
    leaves this will cut the them into little pieces, then go over them forward to disperse the little pieces in the yard. When you are done, no leaves to collect.
    Scott