Blowout hookups

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by iowa, Oct 4, 2006.

1. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

After installing and servicing irrigation for 5 years now, I'm ready to do blow outs instead of having them subbed out. What do you all hook the air hose up to when you blow them out?
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Old established practice allows us to have a boiler drain on the plumbing exiting the house, so a garden hose connection serves. And, it can pass enough air for nearly any job, residential or commercial.

Tighter code enforcement will frown on any potable-water hose bib that doesn't have a backflow preventer on it, so a thread-on vacuum breaker would be needed, that could later be temporarily removed, and replaced after winterizing.
  3. Here we go...the test c ock debate...

I use the test c ock of the PVB or RP....or I use the boiler drain or 1/2 fitting, whatever is available...most of the houses I service do NOT have any fittings exclusively for the blow out process.....therefore I use lower test coc k

I threw the the monkeys...
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We go through this debate every year. And if you don't believe I can blow out 3 zones at once thru the testc ock, come out and watch me do it all day long. As tony said, the majority of the systems here do not have an above ground hose bib/drain to hook to. So we make due with what's available. Testco ck is the easiest way for us to do most of them.
  5. I just think it's fun trying to figure out how to spell testcauk..... ;)
  6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah I wandered why you split the words like that.. But now I know. You cant say Kock on lawnsite.kom....LOL
  7. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

testcaulks, all day long, 3-5 zones at a time, no problem.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

testcocks testcocks testcocks ~ it's the new 'stagnant pressure' :p
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We blow through a testc0ck on the backflow preventer. Some people say you can damage them, but I've never seen it.
  10. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member