Blowout on SCAG decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, Nov 6, 2003.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been doing research on ztrs for next season and I have found the scag turf tiger cub to be the best value. Dealer has a tiger cub w/ 61" 25hp for $6999. I'm not wild about the ORANGE color but I am imprseed with the features for $. The deck design looks alot like the trivantage deck on my toro fixed decks. The salesman and the video claim the front design stands the grass up before cutting. What is your experience. I have limited time for demos and value the opinions here on LS. the angled forward edge to the dec k looks like it reduces grass and especially leaf blowout. true? or false?

2. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

blow out? well i can't say alot for the cub. i've never used one. but my turf tiger has very little blow out. the adjustable baffle can be set alot lower too. seeing i have it high as it will go. the spindles on the cub are the best in the market. same as on mine. we got a walk behind with 6000 hrs and only replaced 2 sets of wheel bearings. and one deck belt. the 14 hp kawi still runs like a top. but our deck is less than history. years of leaf mulching and mowing have ground it to nothing. never touched a spindle, or drive belt. not bad huh? a spindle that will outlast the deck!

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am with Floridalawncare, with that baffle, my cub has little to no blowout. Even with doubles and leaves, it does very well, much, much better then my exmark trivantage ever did.

Jay

4. jeffex

Now THATS what I want to hear! I like the idea of the adjustable baffle. I would realy only need it this time of the year when leaf cleanup kicks in. Now if they would just paint one red to match the rest of my stuff. I also like the "in the field" removable mulch plate. I made my own for my toros before I installed OCDCs on them. It came in handy when cutting certain properties as well as in leaf season.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

No blowout here (2002 CUB 52" 23HP Kawi) . It all depends on what blades your running, if your mulching, using a vac system, etc. The Scag deck does a great job in my application and the benefit over other decks is that you can adjust the baffle to be application specific if there ever is a problem (for a particular application).

I say buy it quick because that is a great price for the combo you listed. As far as the Scag orange goes I like it. It is great for visibility, so you dont get hit. Its also easy to find my mowers after my lunch when I am in a drunken stupor. J/K
    Scag orange goes well with Stihl orange so buy some Stihl stuff while your at it.

Jimbo

6. jeffex

i FIGURE i CAN BUY A new trailer and a scag mower for the price of the exmark. I already have stihl backpack blowers. The only true color I am deciding on is green$$$$

7. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

i went and checked out exmarks today and tiger cubs.of course others too. scag offers this as an entry level machine at a decent price. it has over wheel fuel tanks, compact design, solid build, 10cc hydro gear pumps. exmark features the exact things on machines for over 8000$. but heres the difference. the cub has ball bearings in their tensioner arms, exmark has bushings. the cub has greasable spindles with tapered roller bearings, exmark has sealed ball bearings with no grase fittings. the cub now has tapered rollers in the wheels too, well the exmark has the typical ball bearing. adjustable baffles on the scag for a custom cut, exmark has welded in place baffles. the adjustable baffle can be unbolted and replaced after it's gotten to thin also. i'm not trying to sound biassed in any way, but these things can be verified in your own experience. just check them out. oh yeah, look at how much room you have to change belts on the machines, this may help you decide.

8. jeffex

The sales book for scag says the 61" comes with a gt3 clutch and a hydraulic oil cooler. Jimbo does the 52" have a oil cooler? it lists the pto clutch gt2 rated at 110 ft lbs vs gt3 175 ft lbs. on the 52".

9. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Scag is built to last. I have many of them and all have been good. You also forgot to mention that Scag uses better steel quality than them. Someone also mentioned not to long ago that they are coming out with the Wildcat in 2004. It looks like a Cub 61 but with bigger front casters and a 27 HP Kohler.

10. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

Jeffex - I don't think the 52" cub has an oil cooler. Unless you need the small size I would go with the 61.

I bought a Turf Tiger a month ago and have been VERY happy with it.