Blowout with Lazer HP

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by greengiant9963, Oct 15, 2007.

1. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Leaves are really starting to fall here and one of my mowers is a lazer Z HP 52 with the trivantage deck. The mower also has a ultra vac. The blowout is just minor in the front but excessive on the discharge side. I have run other mowers with vac systems and never have had a problem like this. Things that I have tried to correct the problem. Bought blowout baffle, tried notched foil, solid foil , and gator blades. Screen on the back of the of the hopper on ultra vac is completely clean. Pivot arm is greased. RPM's are where they should be. I actually run it at half throttle when doing leaves just to cut down on the blowout but only helps a little. So where do I go from here? This mower has been this way the last 5 years I have had it. Just can't find a fix for the problem. Anything ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have to say I have yet to find a way to prevent the blowout on the discharge side myself. This is why I do circles first, at say 1-3 notches above normal cut to get all the leaves up, and then recut to look nice at normal cutting height. I use an accelerator with the leaf extender. Low lifts work best with a gator above.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Green,

Look at your deck setting. With a 52" deck you should have about 3/16" of rake. From your symptoms...especially since you've added the blowout baffle, I really think this is going to play at least a part in your issue.

You state it's escaping out of the discharge side, is it going under/around the blower itself, or escaping from the front right corner?

If it's escaping under/around the blower, then I'd have to believe we're either losing impeller speed or don't have a clear path.

You stated the screen is clear which is good. You don't use any type of insersts in the bags do you?...because the bags also have to breathe as well. Beyond that, I've had several guys that would have issues with the opening actually plugging and experiencing similar symptoms. You may want to try and remove the discharge ('dog-leg') baffle at the back of the dishcharge opening on the deck. Debris can start to build up at this baffle and begin closing off the opening.

Impeller speed is most likely affected by belt slippage. Look closely at the idler...I know you said you've greased it, but it should be greased under no load as often as possible. This idler catches A LOT of dust, so I recommend a little higher level of maintenance here than most idlers. It's also possible that you received the wrong pulley with you UV. Give me the measurement of the top pulley and we'll ensure that's correct.

I hope this will help.

Thanks,
    Lenny

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

5. greengiant9963

Well I no there is no build up on back baffle. Check it regularly. I am thinking now it might have to do with a pulley like you stated. I have had the Ultra Vac for 4 years now and i have went threw at least 20 to 25 belts. When I told the dealer a couple years ago about the belts they just scratched there head. I will get a measurement of the top pulley in the next 2 days. Thanks for the help Lenny.

6. greengiant9963

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

8. greengiant9963

Lenny,

The top pulley measures 3 1/2 inches. Do you think trying a smaller pulley would help? Thanks.

Jason

9. greengiant9963

bump...................

10. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

Try a low lift or wavy mulch blade.