Blowouts will be tough

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Oct 10, 2005.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Blowouts will be tough the next few days. 3"-4" of snow at my place and still coming down. Probably more at SprinklerGuys place. Actually my employee will be doing the blow outs. I will be running around like a freaking madman trying to at least drain a ton of systems. I took on too many rentals. Actually it wouldn't be too many if this cold front came thru in 2 weeks. I may just drain a lot of systems and not blow them out. For the most part, but not always, if the backflow device and manifold are drained, and bleeder screws on valves are all opened, things wil drain enough. I get my second compressor next Monday, and am kicking myself for not getting it this week.

Tony, if your not using yours next weekend I would rent it from you.
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Ran into many PVBs that were frozen today. I'm stressed. Everyone wanted to wait, or else the rental companies got me their lists late. Why did I take these stupid rentals anyway?? And now there may be some damage. 10"-20" of snow in my area (Monument, CO) and Denver.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Gotta hand it to you guys in cold areas trying to decide (and possibly talk customers into it) when to winterize systems. Seems to me that this is a lot like the gambling farmers have to endure. Just recently it was the raisin crop. Grapes have to be off the vine and on drying sheets by a certain date or crop insurance is no good. Then the typical drying time is mid September when our area is susceptible to storms coming up from off Baja. A little rain is OK during the drying process but too much moisture and the crop is ruined by mold. This year a couple of days of thunderstorms came up but the raisin areas only got a little rain and your Raisin Bran is safe. :D