Blu-Lock (funny pipe)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by No Rush, Jun 10, 2007.

1. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

Has anyone used this type of funny pipe; it was given to me and it is more flexable than the black funny pipe I usually get at the supply house. Also, you can make your own swing joints. The pipe goes in to the fittings and not on a barb, it's faster to put together...

DSCF0121.jpg

DSCF0122.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

2. I've seen that as well. I'm waiting for feedback. unfortunately we never find out about these things for a few years down the road. I believe they cost more but do put together fast.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We got some free as well as a couple bags of ells. I haven't used it, but gave it to my tech for an install he did at his folks' place. He liked it. When I am back from vacation I will ask him more about it and post.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

We got some free also, piece of junk...I prefer the lasco "double twist" barbs.

5. Hey,
    Anybody that sends me over $300 of samples like Blu-Lok did, I'm going to seriously consider them. That was over 2 years ago. (I still believe they will do this with any state licensed contractor)

Since I always custom make my swing joints, since I used them on those first couple installs(one of them my own house) I've been hooked. The only problem I have is I have to purchase them while out in the valley as they are not carried here at the local branch where most of my work is.

Cost....well at least the fittings I use, they are only a couple cents more per unit cost than Lasco's Blue twisters or RainBirds

So far in my area, it is not carried yet(S.F. Peninsula) but at the John Deere Landscapes branches in Modesto and Stockton, they are loved by local installers and used quite a bit on a bunch of new developments.

The only time I've seen failure was because the pipe was not inserted completely in. Also, they are a pain to get released once the fitting gets fouled up by dirt.

Mike, why did you not like them and what reason are you calling them junk?

By the time I got done twisting in the lasco fittings, I always would have some serious blisters at the end of the day.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

We tried them out & came to the conclusion the time spent was more than
    the twisters...I wasn't convinced they'd hold tite either, glad somebody likes
    them. I'll probably be laughed off the forum, but when it's chilly, a bucket of
    warm water to soak the swing pipe to soften it up works good. The combo
    of blue twisters & Toro super funny pipe rocks my boat.:)

7. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I took up their offer for a free sample two or three seasons ago. I thought their product was great, but unfortunately the pipe doesnt match up to regular funny elbows, we had a time relocating some sprinklers on a job that i installed this free stuff on. Had to completely replace the whole swing assembly.

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The bigger question is, why did you have to move heads? :)

9. Didn't anybody tell you that blu-lok is proprietary?

That means you only can use blu-lok fittings. Can't use other brands.

Not a practical solution unless you have a supplier near by.

10. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Nah, no one uses it around here. These folks i installed the samples at dug up their asphalt driveway and poured a concrete one, in the meantime i had to relocate a few heads closer to the new driveway. Thats when i found out, if they had sent some sample couplings i could have made it work!!