Blue Bird Bed Edger Help

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by bmoorefield, Dec 19, 2010.

1. bmoorefield

bmoorefield LawnSite Member

I bought a Blue Bird bed edger this past spring and for those of you who are do not have one I highly recommend this to be on your list of things to buy. At least go rent a few to get an idea of how much time it can save you and the professional job that it can produce. Be cautious with cable, dog fence, and speaker wiresÂ…call your local utility company to mark the lines. The problem that I have is the blade has been destroyed over the heavy usage throughout the year, and I have no idea where to get a replacement blade. I bought my machine off another local landscaper and I am not sure where he made the original purchase. Does anyone know of a distributor in north Baltimore and how much this will cost?

2. bmoorefield

Anybody, please?

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Call Blue Bird...I'm sure they can get you to the right person.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. bmoorefield

they hooked me up with a dealer in Baltimore, waiting for them to get back to me for a price.

5. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

If it's a BB550A, you can get a replacement blade on Amazon.com for about $175. Damn, the internet is amazing!

6. bmoorefield

Wow, you must be a genius to know how to use the internet. I like to help the small local businesses just like myself and the majority of people on this site. The dealer that I located ordered me a blade for $150 and I also gained a contact if I need any other Blue Bird parts for the future.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

How much did you pay for the machine. Did you get a full life out of the blade or did you prematurely tear it up. I have rented them enough I could justify adding one to the stable.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. cgaengineer

I wouldn't get the Bed Bug if you decide to get bed edger...it was weak. I rented it 2 times and used it all day and thought it was way under powered. It did a great job though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

That's why I didn't get one of the echo bed definers. It looks and felt like a 600 dollar stick edger.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. cgaengineer

It would be fine in softer soils, but in the clay and rock we have here is was all it could do to even stay running.
    Posted via Mobile Device