blue fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by gusbuster, Jun 28, 2002.

1. What brand and if you know what is the analysis of this blue colored fertilizer.

I saw this blue colered fertilizer for the first time the other day. I've never seen it before.
    John

2. rustybullets

rustybullets LawnSite Member

Could have been UFLEXX, that stuff is blue colored. It is a "nitrogen stabilizer".

3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Gus,

There is no such thing as "Blue Fertilizer". But there ARE plenty of fertilizers that are dyed blue.

Urea Formaldehyde (AKA UreaForm, Powder Blue, Blue Chip, Formalene, etc) 38-0-0 as a raw ingredient. A little too slow for a turf fertilizer. May not release entirely for several years. May also be sold in it's original form in which case it will be gray. Usually a granular, but may be a suspended liquid. Noram enjoys huge profits from this souce.

Methalene Urea (Nutralene, etc) 40-0-0, another slow release N from Noram. Low salt but pretty fast to release. Almost always a granular. Can be made into a semi clear liquid. Very expensive for what it is.

Polyon. Several grades. The coating is dyed either blue or green. Available in several different coating thickness. The better grades are good stuff..Always granular. Not a bad value in some cases.

Peters, Fritts, LESCO Macron, Doggett, Shultz, Scotts, Miracle Grow, Sterns, etc, etc, etc...all blue (in some grades) all 100% soluble crystals.

None of the ingredients that are used to make any of these fertilizers are blue. Marketing people seem to think that consumers perceive value in blue fert's. So they blow some of the profits on blue dye. It seems to work to. I know some seasoned professionals that are duped into beleiving this garbage. Go figure. Any coated, slow release granular product can be dyed blue or any other color that is darker than the original form. I've seen green, blue, orange, pink, etc. We produce a coated product that is brown. The brown coating is actually a blend of micronutrients (rather than a useless dye). We will not waste money on colored dyes. In Germany, there is a law on the books that all fertilizers must be brown. So we sell a LOT of fertilizer there. Personally, I find brown ferts are harder to see when applied with a rotary spreader. Silly Europeans!

The label contains all the information that anyone needs to know. If you have all this information, & can post it, I can assist in disseminating the truth.

If you can supply more information about the product you saw, I'll see what I can come up with.

Steve

4. fertit

fertit LawnSite Member
    from 97034

:angel: Blue fertilizer- 38-0-0 is Nitroform, the Original Blue. Anything else is a copycat. Tremor- you may want to update your information. Nitroform was reformulated in the late 1970's to reduce longevity from 2 years to less than 9 months. In some markets, it is conceiveable one application at the correct N rate may suffice. Nitrification inhibitors are not slow-release. Be very careful. They are 96-97% urea.

5. Macvols

Macvols LawnSite Member

Mesa Maybe!!!

Mike

6. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Fertit - where do you get nitroform? And what's the price tag?

7. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Most likely the first awnser "UFLEX" or maybe "UMAX" is correct.

8. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry Fertit but I'll stand by my 2 year old statement. Nitroform is 70% insoluble & not 100% available in the same season of application in nearly all cases. The only improvement ever made to UF was methylene urea.

9. Uf might all release in 9 months if properly timed application was applied on warm season turf in the deep south, otherwise tremor on the mark, 90-95% released in two seasons!

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Tim

Even in my southern location UF will not totally release in 9 months. What is UF?? It is urea, chemically altered to form Long Carbon chains molecules. The way any urea is made available to the plant is by breaking down those carbon bonds by microbial activity. The longer the Carbon chain, the longer it takes the microbes do break them down. To have microbial activity the right environment must be present as well as that microbial and a food source. UF offers the right food source it this case. Microbe are everywhere and the environment selects which ones are in greater population. However it is that environment that determine the amount of activity when all else is equal. factors like pH, field capacity and temperature are the big factors in microbial environments, not to say other factor do not effect them. Soil Temperature, pH, and field capacity Etc that are too high or too low will slow microbial activity. In the case of UF too hot and too dry will stop release