1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blue Heron eating Koi

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by RussellB, Nov 14, 2012.

1. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Proves that they WORK!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
  2. Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls LawnSite Member

As as DIY here, I found the best way to get them to stay away was A) BB gun and B) hang deer fencing from trees with artificial frogs in the mesh.

Apparently Herons prefer frogs to fish.

I've caught about 6 Heron this way....it's a little barbaric, as my wife says, but my neighbour likes them for what I don't know
  3. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't do this in the USA, Niagara. They are a protected species. Harming them in any way carries stiff fines and penalties.
  4. Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls LawnSite Member

I guess I'd better remove the deer fence from my trees.....

I'll have to come up with something new next year, as they've all gone south by now.
  5. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

They do like frogs. All of mine along with the fish are gone.
  6. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

I do the same thing. I'll go check the pond and get nailed do some work and move up front to her flowerbeds and get nailed by the second one.:hammerhead: After a season you would think I would learn.

Minks are getting bad around here in certain parts. What about a mink coat with a heron feather stole? :laugh:
  7. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

A good friend has had great success with the motion activated sprinklers. What he found was that he needed multiple ones covering the same locations so that when one went off, it would set the rest off in a domino effect. The big thing when using multiple impact sprinklers is being sure you have the gpm available to cover all the heads so that it still has enough flow to be effective when they all go off.
  8. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

Dig the pond deeper straight down if not they will return every time