1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blue Liquid in Tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tremens, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Tremens

Tremens LawnSite Member

I just purchased a used Ferris mower and when I went to test the psi on the rear tires, blue-green liquid came out of them. I know that people put foam or slime in tires to help reduce flats, but this has the consistancy of water. What is this? To get rid of it, can I simply drain the tires and then put air in them?
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sounds like windshield washer fluid, they likely used it for added weight, for traction purposes.
    The reasoning behind the washer fluid is so it does not freeze in the winter months (if the unit is stored in cold storage)
    I would drain the tires and take the tires off the rims to check for rust and corrosion, then decide whether to replace tires / rims if needed.

3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, but who in their right mind would put a CORROSIVE liquid inside tires?
  4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

You'd be surprised :rolleyes:
  5. Tremens

Tremens LawnSite Member

Is there any advantage to leaving it in? Would this provide any benefit to mowing on slopes or actually hinder it?
  6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

actually i find alot of people on here that use fix-a-flat.that actualy causes rust.
  7. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Every farm dealer on the planet puts corrosive calcium in the tires for weight. This is far more corrosive than windshield washer fluid (and also slightly heavier). On many occasions I have seen the calcium eat clean through the steel rims. The tire shops pump it into tubes, where possible, instead of directly into the tires, to save the rims.

Using windshield washer fluid in small equipment is standard practice here. In fact, it is not very corrosive at all. I just changed some tires on a small John Deere tractor that has had WW fluid for about 8 years. The rims were no worse for wear. The last set of rims on this tractor were eaten through by calcium in 8 years - did a mean ugly job on them.

To check the tire pressure, spin the wheel until the valve is at the top and try it. If you still get WW fluid out, then you have to take the wheel off and lay it on its back to check the pressure. There is air in the tire, you just have to get it to the area where the valve is to check the pressure.

To add WW fluid for weight I take a tire off, break one bead, lay the tire on its side with the broken bead up, and simply pour as much WW fluid as I can in. I can get them quite full. Then use air to set the bead, then set the correct pressure.

And yes, WW fluid is used because it won't freeze in the winter.

The advantage to adding weight to wheels using fluid is the transmission isn't seeing that weight when it is turning the wheels. Wheel weights - the transmission sees as an additional load that has to be turned - harder on the transmission, drive axles etc.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Someone who understands the concept of a brand-new Wb being run for 5-7 years at most until another one is purchased, thou I do agree with you, neither the manufacturers nor the dealers always do what's best for you, me, or the machines... Then again, neither do I towards my customers, I guess it's just a part of doing business, sad, but necessary?
  9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Down here where it is warm and does not get cold enough to freeze I have used water in my tires. In fact, I have a special attachment to fill the tires with water. You jack up the rear end and rotate tire so that valve stem is located at the top of wheel. Next remove valve stem and screw on attachment. The other end is attached to a garden hose. Rurn on your water slowly and when tire is about 4/5 full remove attachment. Some water will come out but screw in your stem and then fill with air.

It is a great way to add weight to stay on the hills. Oh and the more air you get out of the tires prior to filling to water the easier it is and more you can get into the tire.