Blue max from menards..$100..looks the "same" as Remax g5000

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by borwicks, Dec 4, 2009.

1. borwicks

borwicks LawnSite Senior Member

I did a muffler mod and tuned the blue max. I took a carlton k1 chain, sharpened at 25 degrees, mic the cutting teeth they were all within .006.
    I used the same chain and bar on both machines for the test.
    I did a final tune in the wood. did not have my tach but I could tell the blue was not revving like the red. results. I did the blue max first. 4 cuts then switched bar and chain to red max. I used dryed 3year 9.75" elm for test. results as follows.

blue..8.47-9.13-8.9-8.68
    red...7.78-7.78-7-7.39

View pics here.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/borwicks/20091205#

2. borwicks

My thoughts. I should have got my tach. When the muffler was off i looked inside and could see nice hone marks on cylinder wall and 2 rings. If the blue max revved higher the times would be closer. Used .325 chain. Outruns any of the off the shelf home owner stuff Ive used in recent years. How long it lasts???time will tell.

3. borwicks

A couple of you guys dont think they look the same...What are you looking at. come on. Ive never seen closer saws. Thats the reason it caught my eye. I was walking by not "looking" and noticed it.

4. borwicks

I showed the pics to my g/f. She said no at first. Then I said why not. She said the stickers are different, the plastic looks different. I then pointed out the "core" of each saw and she said yes i do see it now.

5. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

:laugh::laugh:ghetto redmax:laugh::laugh:

6. borwicks

yes....yes it is...Get a 7001 if your using everyday for blowing off sidewalks and such, your can thank me later. The 8001 is seems much heavier after youve had it on for awhile. we only use the 8001 for fall and spring clean ups now. Everyone that wore it complained about the weight.

7. mowerdude777

I either will just wait untill spring and get a new one or get a used 7000 at the right price this winter

8. borwicks

I your going to get a used one. Pull the plug and muffler to inspect piston area. Perform a compression check as well. Good luck

9. mowerdude777

Ok I will do you know if the pre epa 7000s are bettter then the 7001, 8001, or 8050

10. morgaj1

morgaj1 LawnSite Senior Member

Any updates on the cheap saw?