Blue Smoke On Cold Start

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GravelyGuy, Sep 7, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have a 26 HP Kawi Liquid Cooled with less than 150 hours. With the first couple of starts in the morning a large puff of blue smoke comes out the exaust. I don't think it has always done this or atleast not this bad.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks...

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I'll bump this along....I wonder if that could be a gas leak into the cyclinder or oil leak. I got two 15hp Kohler units that is leaking past the carb and on start they put out a white cloud.

3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I accidentally posted this thread in this forum, you can check out some of the responses in the commercial forum if you want to.

I would think that white smoke would be coolant.

4. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

GravelyGuy,

Just a few thoughts, is there a chance the oil level is to high? Fuel smell in the oil? Might want to check to be sure the engine breather is clear. The only other thing I can think of are the valve stem seals might be bad, or not pushed all the way down on the valve guide.

Puffing blue smoke is not normal.

Regards,

Eric D

5. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

I think I remember hearing that occasionally blue smoke with a Kawi at the cold start is the result of unused fuel in the engine. As long as it goes away. I think you will be fine.