1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blue Smoke On Cold Start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GravelyGuy, Sep 7, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have a 26 HP Kawi Liquid Cooled with less than 150 hours. With the first couple of starts in the morning a large puff of blue smoke comes out the exaust. I don't think it has always done this or atleast not this bad.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Oil smoke on startup is usually a sign of bad valve seals. It can also be caused by improper shut down procedures. If it's still under warranty take it back to the dealer.
  3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I bet you are using synthetic or multi viscosity oil right? Kawi wants 30 weight straight. and absolutely no synthetic oil until well after 500 hrs.
  4. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

myn does the exact same thing... big cloud of smoke just on start-up for about 1 second... then it runs absolutely perfect. Always let it idle for about 2-3 min before shut-down.....whats goin on here?
  5. bard

bard LawnSite Member

Make sure you cut off the fuel supply if you are not going to run for more than 30 minutes. Could be flooding the engine. I started doing this to my 23hp KAW and the problem cleared up.
  6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I am running Valvoline 10W-30. I don't want to take it to the dealer because if they decide that it is not a problem or it is normal then they will charge me out the a$$ like they have before. They are shady like that.

Also, I always let it idle while I edge, atleast 1 min.
  7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

try 30 weight kawi wants you to use that anyway
  8. ALittleOffheTOP

ALittleOffheTOP LawnSite Member

Did you recently change or add oil? Check the level. My KAW smoked once when I overfilled the oil right after a change. Had to drain it and start over...:hammerhead:
  9. firekilr2

firekilr2 LawnSite Member

Just got 2 new 26 lc kaw's. One smokes and one is fine. Will check oil level in the morning. Fills the trailer with smoke. 10 hours is all.