1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Blue Star Juniper Blues

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Marcos, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I have a job that I've had for about 8 years where the Blue Stars have looked fine during that duration. They get full sun from midday on, grow in O.K. clay-silt soil, and are treated three times each spring and early summer for prevention of tip blight, which I know they're notorious for. They get hort oil spray every winter to help prevent mites. I heard that junipers usually like it dry, but we're having a real big drought here this year in S. Ohio, so I've seen to it that they've gotten a couple of real deep root soaking waterings about six weeks apart. And finally, I've done the famous notebook paper test, and haven't seen spider mites, yet they all seem to just be in a general state of decline since the spring. Any ideas? What if anything do you guys feed them in the fall?
  2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Six weeks apart for watering in a drought? You might have greater faith in the drought tolerance than I would. Are these guys really so deep rooted?
  3. Marcos

Yeah, they've had to have been there at least 10 years. And the soil like I said is S. Ohio silt- clay, so it holds moisture. The plants are putting out new growth.It just seems that the old growth is randomly dieing off at a faster pace.
  4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Were they trimmed recently? They don't respond well to anything besides selective hand pruning. Just a guess.
  5. Marcos

Since they've been in decline, and because of the dry weather, I decided not to trim them. And I would not want to do that this late as to encourage growth that would burn. The only thing I've done is prune off sections that have died, and used #2 Felcos that were sterilized. I'm real PO'ed too 'cause a property two doors down has them growing in partial shade and they're flourishing. Theory: Maybe they need more shade?!? But that flys in the face of everything I've ever heard about juniper.