1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

BlueBird 530 vs. Lawn Solutions 21" WB in 1/2" thatch

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Exact Rototilling, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Single pass and then the additional row outward are double passes.

Conditions are moist with just over 1/2" of thatch.

LS WB has the full weight kit on it. One in front 3 in the back.

Don't pay any attention to those rows of plugs behind the units.

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

2. Exact Rototilling

FYI: grass was low mowed @ 1.5" just a few days prior to this.

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

i didn t like the blue bird i run Rayans pluggers never ran a LS but looks like my plugger action

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Nice. I am kicking my self I didn't order sooner. My LS wont be here till mid April and am wrestling a bluebird and a classen. Sold my PL400 and wished I hadn't. Didn't think it would take so long to get my new aerator. I am looking forward to it though and then the dual hydro 24 in the fall or next spring.

5. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey NICE JOB Exact rototilling

6. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Exact...how much of a difference does adding the front weight make as far as turning? Does it make it any easier loading on a trailer since there is extra weight holding the front wheels down? How much weight is on the front?

Thanks

7. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

The LS walk behinds are traction limited.The front weight has to help a little.Hey Exact Rototilling my unit only came with one weight I see your's has the full setup.Have you ever ran yours without the weight kit and how much difference did it make?

8. Exact Rototilling

In this same grass area the extra weight pushes the tines down another 1/4" to maybe 1/3" over the standard one weight.

Turning balance wise about the same but the extra weight out front yes you can tell to some degree it's there. As for loading on a ramp not a huge difference since it is still fairly well balanced fore and aft. When loading you just have to push up on the bar to transfer the weight down on the front wheels.

I had to use my Plugr on 2 properties last year due to difficult access and steep slopes. Plugr Hydros can go some crazy places. Ground clearance is higher on the new 855. I found smoking deal on a barely used 2nd 850 so no plans on buying a 855.

9. Exact Rototilling

Ok here is BIG hint on those plug rows in the distant back ground.....

The one on the left is a Plugr 850 single pass - side by side pass but I was careful to not have them overlap.

The one on the right is a Plugr 850 double pass.

10. Exact Rototilling

Here it is.

BlueBird 530....the Lawn Solutions WB...then the Plugr 850

Again 1/2" thatch layer and I rented the BlueBird for $45 bucks just to do this test.

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg