bluebird aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by killerwill34, Apr 18, 2006.

1. killerwill34

killerwill34 LawnSite Member

i am looking into a bluebird aerator. it has a 3.5 horsepower motor and i believe an 18 or 19 inch width. is $800 a fair price to pay for it, or is that to much or am i getting a good deal. and also how much do you get to aerate the lawns. thank you very much:usflag:

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have one. New they are like $2100 I seem to remember. Aerating width is 16", not 18 or 19 like they advertise.

3. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

while im not familiar with their aerator, everything Bluebird ive ever worked on is excellent. i bet half the Bluebird dethatchers in the country are over 30 years old, and still going strong.

4. killerwill34

killerwill34 LawnSite Member

most lawns around here are 6000 sq ft, is $125 a fair price to aerate, im new to the thatching and aerating part of this, any responses would be great

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Bluebird made a heck of a dethatcher, but their aerators stink. Lesco's split drum is a nice one, and I've used a Ryan that wasn't too bad...

6. North Ga

North Ga LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

We have a Bluebird Slitseeder and have had no problems.

7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Slit seeders and dethatchers run for a few hours and are then put up to rest..Many do not get 40 hours a year. Aerators get 30 hours a week....big diff is needed in quality of the machine. Bluebird is designed for rental...go rent one for a few days and buy some back pain meds. They are tough on the bod if you use them more than a couple hours. If you plan to get serious about aeration be sure to get a commercial unit with good support and warranty. If you are just starting go rent and try them all.

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Ryan products are also very good, but as was stated earlier, blue bird is a very good brand of machine!

$125-140 is a good price for that size property