Bluebird aerators

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jajwrigh, Apr 6, 2005.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Anyone ever use the 530 or 742? I am considering one of these models for purchase...

2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

If Classen aerators are available try a split drive prior to purchasing.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Also try a Plugr. It is cam operated and easier to use. Wrestle a 530 around for 2 or three days and that will be a workout!

4. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a classen split drive and it is awesome, I can turn it with one hand. I can do 9-10 yards/day easy and it doesnt wear me out.

5. jajwrigh

What was the price?

6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

The 530 is the only rental option around me so thats what I use. Its a heavy pain to use all day long. On every one I've used the chain always starts skipping on medium to bigger hills. Ka Bang! click, click, click, Ka Bang! click, click, click... all day long... gets really old really fast. Its a pos if you ask me.

7. br549oicu8

Expect to pay close to 3k for a Classen TA-25 Split Drive but it is made like a tank. Only flaw I see is rubber tires non-pneumatic. Makes it a bit tougher to move but it is a heck of a machine. I have a Ryan LawnaireV also and it is good.

8. bbhlawn

bbhlawn LawnSite Member

I have used both the bluebird and the Plugr. I would the Plugr is the better of the 2 by a long shot. The cam action is much easier on you and it does a nicer job in my opinion.

9. br549oicu8

We compared many aerators a couple of years back at the lawn Expo in Louisville side by side. Hands down...Classen.....and if you want to really show off...and spend big $$$ get the ride on dual hydro aerator. Awesome!!

10. jajwrigh

I know this doesn't matter but the plugr has got to be one of the ugliest damn machines I have ever seen!!! :laugh: