Bluebird or Lesco aerator?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bntt68, Aug 29, 2006.

1. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at tow behind aerators and am hung up on the bluebird 36" or Lesco 42". Does anyone use one of these units? If so what are the pros and cons of it? I am leaning towards the Bluebird. I will be going over the turf twice to get the right amount of holes per square foot. I have a plugr walkbehind now and plan on using it on my tight areas and 36" gated areas. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated!!! Thanks Brent

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The Lesco is actually a Classen, but both the Classen and the Bluebird are great units.

3. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

I think lesco only has a 48" and 60" tow behind.
    They have a 19" and 26" walk behind. I would go with lesco anything but depends on what store your near.

4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Look at the TM-42 by Turfco. It has some read advantages. It can be either a tow behind or a 3 point for flat areas. Also the wheels are mounted in pairs so they aerate better and still turn without tearing. See it at Turfco.com or call 800-679-8201 for information

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 36" Bluebird with weights that come with it (extra $$$). It works pretty well.

6. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to ask the same ? We have a classen TA-25D and like it...also have a JD 318 tractor that we don't use much....so I want to add a pull-behind aerator for larger lots...looking at lesco 48" and turfco 42"...price 1495.00 and 1860.00.would like to see more feed back on these units.THANKS

7. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

I have the Lesco tow behind, works great, simple design- nice top platform to add weight- I put 6 bags of fert. to add weight. I pull mine behind a scag, they have a small hitch and it lines up great.

8. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

I believe I paid around 1300.00, lesco will come down on the price.

9. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

The Turfco is on sale for 1295 with free delivery, if you buy the three point mount. I just got mine yesterday and did my lawn. I am very impressed. If I were you, I would get a three point hitch for your 318 and go that route, and I will tell you why. With the tow behind, you can't go in reverse without getting off the tow vehicle and levering the wheels down, and backing would be like backing up a small trailer. With the three point, you can just raise the hitch, back into a tight spot, drop the hitch and take off. I think you could avoid the need for a small walk behind unit for tight areas by going this route. Also, these things tend to tear a little when you turn tight. The Turfco does less because of the independent wheel sets, but it still does a little. With the three point hitch model, you can pick it up, make a 3 point turn, and not rip up the turf.

I used mine behind my JD 4410 CUT this time. But a 3 point hitch for my 455 is in my immediate future.

10. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

how much were the weight containers for your Bluebird? How hard is it to crank the unit up and down? How long does it take you too crank it up or down? Thanx