BlueBird or UltraVac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, the Yazoo/Kees OEM catcher is actually a BlueBird catcher. The same units I have for choices will also fit Exmark. The decks are very similar and the UltraVac might even fit.

If I decided to get a catcher, I wouldn't need the aux motor. My Z is a 25hp 48" so just the spindle drive BlueBird would be fine.

So does anyone have experience with the BlueBird catchers?
    How do they stack up v/s the UltraVac? Perfomance & Price.

Here is a link to the BlueBird catchers...
    http://bluebirdintl.com/products/collection_systems/index.html

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't see any spindle drive listed at the Bluebird site:confused: All I saw listed were vac's with an auxiliary motor.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Had a blue bird w/pony motor on my toro 150 - sold it all
    New setup is exmark 52"hp w/ultra vac.. so far the ultra vac has my vote (but it is early). Cons on Blue Bird - wide, approach and departure angle restricted, pony motor, poor boot style and the gd weight bar you have to attach to the front of your mower.
    Pluses for ultra vac - fabric collection bags, spindle driven assist blower and I can leave my JRCO mounting bar on the front of the Z.
    BobR

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

EJK2352,

They don't show the spindle drive on the site. I guess this is a Y/K exclusive option. I can get either unit with spindle drive.

Team Gopher,

Thanks for the link. I would have to say you are the most helpful sponser on the forums. Your posts are always very good.

BobR,

Which style catcher did you have? The dump from seat style or the rubbermaid container type? I did some checking around about the Ultra-Vac. The only Exmark dealer doesn't have one, so there is no way for me to see how it mounts to the deck, how it mounts out back and measure distance. So I have no idea if it would work for me or not.

It might not hurt to take a look at side catchers too since I probably won't be using it a lot.

6. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Envy Lawn Service

My Blue Bird had the 'rubbermaid' containers as part of the collection system. Was a decent setup, had great vacuum (6hp pony motor) but other shortcomings will not be missed.
    New Ultra Vac is working just great, it is not my primary leaf machine as I rough clean my accounts with a Billy Goat walkbehind before finishing the job with the Exmark HP.
    BobR