1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

BlueBird OverSeeder

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mc1169, Sep 10, 2005.

1. mc1169

mc1169 LawnSite Member

I rented a bluebird overseeder today and I really felt that it wasn't doing much. It has the tines that verti-cut, however, the hopper just drops seed about 12" behind the blades. There doesn't seem to be any precision about dropping them in the furrows. This is the first overseeder I've used, but I thought it was suppose to drop them directly into the furrows? Also, I had it set at the deepest depth but sometimes it barely even tore into the ground. Is this a normal experience, or did they modify this rental equipment to be "idiot proof"?

What's everyone's experience with the BlueBirds?

2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have any experience with Blue Bird overseeders. I did use a Classen overseeder yesterday and it operated pretty much as you described the Blue Bird. One reason that I can see why the seed does not drop directly into the slice but all the way across is that if you turn the machine slightly the seed will be laying on the undesturbed soil. The way it is probably ensures a more see to loose soil contact.
  3. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

I rented a classen (ts20) yesterday as well and let me tell you how thatch and crap it pulled up. I ran in twice (north-south then east-west) with out any seed, sucked up all the the thatch with my mower and then repeated then ran the oversseder again with the seed in and still pulled up thatch (will post pics later). My understanding with that classed is as the seed drops, the bladed push it into the groud, cauing better seed to soil contact. Time will now tell...
  4. mc1169

mc1169 LawnSite Member

That's what I thought they were all suppose to do...push the seeds into the furrows... Anyone else use the BlueBirds? I don't think there's anyway possible the bluebird could have pushed the seed down given that the hopper is behind the blades...

I really feel like I was ripped off...
  5. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

My rental place carries the Billy Goat with the hopper in front of the blades. I can see the seed drop and the blades "pound" them into the soil. I can't see how any of these rear hopper overseeders can actually work but there are plenty of folks who use them.
  6. mc1169

mc1169 LawnSite Member

I wish I would have know how crappy this seeder was before I rented it. I really feel as if I wasted my money on seeds and the seeder. OH well, you live and learn!

Thanks guys. I'll let you know if it actually works!
  7. hdayanan

hdayanan LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I did mine 2 weeks back, had the same doubts, but actually grass showed up pretty good. My complaint was it is not self propelled kind off.. very hard to make turns and such.

lot of water and lesco starter fert on it did it..

8. mc1169

mc1169 LawnSite Member

I followed the same steps you did...we'll see what happens...I'll report back soon!

9. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

I had pretty decent luck with a bluebird a few years ago. Only complaint i had with it was it's inability to accurately adjust for seed application rates.

CHRIS MELROSE LawnSite Member
    from MIDWEST

Bluebird states in order to get a good seed bed you need to slice one way dropping seed and then crosscut at a 45 degree angle the second time dropping seed as well. Your first bed of seed will be "tilled in" on your second cut, leaving you with seed above and below the dirt surface. I've done it this way several times with a bluebird seeder and it works great!