bluebird-power rake/slitseeder

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by NJgreenone, Dec 15, 2006.

1. NJgreenone

NJgreenone LawnSite Member

Anyone have anything bad to say about this product?? I have heard only good things so far and am looking to buy one. Let me know what you think

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Its been around a long time, but its a light unit. I think home depot uses them in their rental fleet. They are nowhere near as productive as the lesco unit.

3. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

I have a new Clausen i used 3times in o5 will sell it a good price.

4. Primolawn

Primolawn LawnSite Member

I have a bluebird PR18 and use both the Flail Blades and the Delta Blades. It works great power raking with the Flail Blades BUT Dave's right....it's very light and the Delta Blades don't always slice into the ground. Don't get me wrong the machine works great if the ground is soft and wet, but other wise doesn't really seem to have enough weight.

Good Luck with your decision.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have one as well, with the flail and delta reel. Change over between the 2 takes 15 minutes or so. Correct in that the delta reel dosnt always cut in deep, soil conditions need to be on the moist side, rock hard dirt is not it's friend. However the knives and the rest of the machine is certianly up to the beating. I can hit tree roots and concrete all the time and i have never done any damage to the unit. I couldn't tell ya the model I have, its the longer model, the more commercial one. No seed box.

6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Another interesting footnote re the bluebird machine: The blades that bluebird sells for a high price can be bought for a lesser price at farm stores. They are sickle mower blades!

7. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

i think the bb slitseeder is grunt n push(not self propelled, except by the blades turn-watch out for slopes n hills)

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I rented one to see if I liked it. I didn't really care for it. Ended up buying the Lesco Renovator. It's 10x the machine BB makes. the Lesco is self-propelled and has a much better seed drop control system. I even fell behind on a large renovation job so I rented the BB again to make up lost time. I don't think it really helped much in the end. The blades just don't cut up the ground like the Lesco does, and pushing it SUCKS!