1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bluebird PR22 Bag problem

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cgaengineer, Mar 2, 2008.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Whats the deal with the catcher bag on this unit? I used it for several hours yesterday and it didn't catch anything! I ended up blowing all debris into a pile with BR600 and raking into a tarp. I had the flail blades set to the proper height (Just touching the concrete).

The use of the bag on this unit is very important and would really save some time if it would work, if not I cannot believe they would sell a bag for it...judging by the wear on the bag it appears that it had been used prior to my ownership of the unit.

Suggestion, ideas or recommendations?
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I've never used one personally, but I know people who have rented them over the years and everyone said the same thing. They rarely bag anything, and if they do it's only a little bit.

I think the only way to get it to work better would be if the ground/thatch was bone dry. Usually if the turf is dry the thatch that's in contact with the soil is pretty moist still. I know that powerraking is the easiest on a warm and SUNNY day, the stuff will dry once it's laid out for a little while and makes it a LOT easier to suck up with the mowers.

I saw the pics of the one you bought, and I wondered how well it would work for you. Do they even make the bagging unit anymore? I don't recall even seeing it the last time I looked at their site.
  3. cgaengineer

I took the flail reel off and rotated it end to end to get new pointed blade edges and it worked a little better. I am thinking the bag problem is because of the flail blades. I think since they are not radial to the reel at all time they cannot put grass in bag. I will call Bluebird tomorrow and ask them about the bag.

Overall I am happy with the unit and it did a great job. I filled 2 truck loads full of thatch so I think it must have been working. Now all I need to do it aerate and topdress.
  4. cgaengineer

I contacted Bluebird yesterday and spoke with a very helpful fellow named David. I explained my problem (Bagging performance) to him and he said he would call me back. Today David called me back and it seems Bluebird has a service bulletin on the PR22. The service pack is said to improve bagging and contains a larger engine pulley and a chute extender that is basically an extended plate for the underside of the unit to bring chute closer to the flail blades. I asked David if he knew if the flail blades or delta reel were better for bagging and he was told by the engineers that the bagging performance is better with the flails. I was also told that the flails were less damaging to the turf then the delta reel.

Tomorrow I will post Bluebird part number for the service pack for those interested.