Bluebird PR22

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Woodland, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Has anyone used one of these for slit seeding. I'm going to go look at a used one this weekend for $350. I doubt it has the slit seeding attachment but the literature says there is one. I don't really need a power rake but if it can be used successfully as slit seeder, which I do need, why not kill two birds with one stone.
  2. Gators_Aerator

Gators_Aerator LawnSite Member

I have used the S22 which has the seed box on the back, but what you are looking at is a power rake. It could be used as a seeder, but two steps are involved. 1)Power Rake 2) Spread Seed.
  3. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

That is what I thought as well but was just a little confused. I've used both the bluebird seeder and dethatcher and liked them both. I had rented a Classen seeder but it had the hopper in the front which I didnt care for and it ended up breaking on me. When I got the bluebird, it worked alot better. Ive only used a handful of aerators, seeders, and dethatchers but I def. liked using the bluebirds.
  4. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I'm a bit confused. I've never used a power rake or a seeder so bear with me. From what I've been able to tell, this bluebird power rake, using the "delta blade reel" will cut slices in the turf and then the "seeder" part would be essentially a spreader bolted to the machine? Does this compare to a dedicated slit seeder? I looked online at a lesco and ryan product and they both had what appeared to be plastic tubes running underneath the machine. What are they? Of course they also cost over 3 grand. At $350, would this bluebird be adequate for seeding?
  5. Gators_Aerator

Gators_Aerator LawnSite Member

Go to the Bluebird site. It will show you the difference. The model that you mentioned does not have the seed hopper. The blades may also be different.

Yes, the rake or seeder will cut slits in the soil, however the seed hopper drops the seed as you use the machine. The model you listed will only cut the slit. Depending on the blade it may not be as clean as you like. The rake blade really tears up the turf more than the delta blade.

The model you listed does not have the seed hopper, so you would have to use a spreader to accomplish this.
  6. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I use the PR22 with the delta blades to slit seed and de-thatch. The delta blades don't de-thatch quite as good as the flail blades but they do dig up thatch and tear up the soil to make a good seed bed. After cleaning up the thatch I seed with a spreader.
  7. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a S22, like many said it is the same machine pretty much only with the delta reel and a seeder box on the back. I have very good results seeding with this machine.