bluebird sod cutter and trench master

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by www.rs-lawn.com, Dec 10, 2006.

1. www.rs-lawn.com

www.rs-lawn.com LawnSite Member

i am looking to buy a trench master and a bluebird sod cutter. i have rented a bluebird before and loved it. i want to know if anyone has had any problems with either pieces of equipment. i have used the ryan and i honestly don't know what all the hype is about. they are very shakey, whereas the bluebird is like a tank. i am buying the trench master kinda blind as i have never used one before, but there is a good price on one. has anyone used it on small stumps? it is one of those pieces that i would like to have around just to have. any advice on wither pieces? i kinda already made up my mind, but i just want a just need some reassurance. Thanks fellas!

2. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

We bought one of the first trenchmaster designs years ago. only 5 horse motor, non steerable. But love it. We used to trench all beds by hand. One property would take 3 guys 3 days to trench out, haul off spoil. Now, one guy can trench the whole thing in 5-6 hours. We have literally wore ours out. Welded it back together and wore it out again. Used up 3 or 4 rotors on it. I think they are great.

3. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

trench master is the best piece of equipment i own. as far as saving labor on edging anyway. i just about wore mine out also. its a 6 hp but none steering. the new ones are really nice.

4. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

And why would you want to use it on stumps???

5. www.rs-lawn.com

www.rs-lawn.com LawnSite Member

thats what it says it does. small stumps like 10" big

6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Bluebird sod cutter is fine for perfectly flat areas but does not follow contours very well. Because the blade is suspended between the front and rear wheels it will often miss sod in depressions. All other brands that I know of have the blade in front of the wheels or roller so that it can follow contours better. Of the brands I have used I would say Ryan is the best followed by Brower, Turfco, Sod Kicker, and Bluebird in that order.

7. paolaken

have you ever used the small one turfco has now? looks really simple and easy.

8. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I have not used the current Turfco sod cutter. Since it has the blade between the front and rear wheels I would be concerned about it not following contours like the Bluebird.

9. paolaken

someone in the for sale section has a trenchmaster for sale.